www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vacuum forming for mother molds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Vacuum forming for mother molds? Reply with quote

I'd love to build one of these tables to play around with. I was wondering if you guys think it would work well for making mother molds for my silicone glove molds. I make pretty small scale stuff usually no more then 8"x8"x8" or so. I have been splurging on apoxy sculpt because I don't like to mess with fiberglass.

What types of material do you think would be rigid enough for this application? Could I make a 110v system to handle the material I would need? I wouldn't be worried about high detail.

Any help would be appreciated.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RRK4, welcome to the forum.

What material/s are you creating the orignal with? If it is a strong, stable material then using a vac former to create a mother mold should work and it would be fast. I believe the guys doing Armor use HIPS. It may need some reinforcing to maintain exact shape but you can form HIPS with a shop vac. If you need a heavier mold out of thicker plastic, like ABS, you'd probably have to use a regular vacuum pump. Post up picts of your project if you get the chance.
hth, DougN
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I make my models at this time with wood and polymer clay and some of my older ones used some plasticine but i acrylic them and there would already be about a quarter inch of silicone between the model and the plastic. Im not too worried about strength and not at all about the heat. Also I wouldn't need to do it over and over.

Seems like a good use for vacuum forming to me. Do others use it for this reason?

Maybe I will make some lite up book ends or something like that. Its a cool toy er I mean tool.

Oh, is there a list somewhere of the different plastics that people use and their properties?
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRK4 wrote:
...Oh, is there a list somewhere of the different plastics that people use and their properties?

If there is a list on TK560 I'm not aware of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: