www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pixelphish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

I'm going to be building about a half scale, kinetic replica of the robot from Castle in the Sky. If you haven't seen the film, I recommend you do. Anyhoo, I plan to vacuform the arm, leg segments as well as the hands and possibly head and feet. The main body will be fiberglas. All this will be on a steel subframe. It will be motion sensitive with sound and lights for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's a rough model I'll be working from:
http://www.dtoland.com/Portfolio/3-D_Work.html#0
http://www.dtoland.com/Portfolio/3-D_Work.html#1
Pixelphish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Hi again Reply with quote

One big question I have right off is where do I find the plastic sheeting and what thickness would be best for my application? I plan to pull each part in halves and then glue them together. Thanks!
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to the forum! So iiuc, your robot would be over 6' tall!? That'd be awesome!
What kind of vacuum forming machine are you gonna work with?

There are other guys that do more with armor on here but HIPS plastic would probably be a good start. It's what a lot of body armor makers use. I do stuff for Jeeps and use 3/16-1/4" ABS. In 1/8" and thinner, ABS is fairly easy to work with although not as easy as HIPS.

There should be local suppliers you can get plastic from around Seatle. If not three suggestions would be, McMaster-Carr, Professional Plastics, and Alro Plastics since they all ship. I get my stuff from Alro but they don't have much of an internet presence.
hth, DougN

Is this the full sized robot!?

Pixelphish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: robot sculpture Reply with quote

Yes. That's the one. Mine will be around 10" tall. I'll be building the vacuform based on Egner's plan and some improvements I found here by cashman?
I've never done any large fiber-glassing before either so that too will be a source for questions in the future.
D
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: robot sculpture Reply with quote

Pixelphish wrote:
Yes. That's the one. Mine will be around 10" tall. I'll be building the vacuform based on Egner's plan and some improvements I found here by cashman?
I've never done any large fiber-glassing before either so that too will be a source for questions in the future.
D

Wow, big project but it should be spectacular! Keep us posted on the vac former build and how the robot build comes along!!
DougN
Pixelphish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will keep posting progress and I meant 10', not 10" high. 10" wouldn't be that spectacular.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. Cool project! Keep us updated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: 10" vs 10' Reply with quote

Pixelphish wrote:
Thanks I will keep posting progress and I meant 10', not 10" high. 10" wouldn't be that spectacular.

With your other references to scale and dimension I figured that 10" was a simple typo. Again, keep us posted on your progress!!
DougN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: