www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Fredo's iFold 1800w 2x2 w/ Transport Package
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Fredo's iFold 1800w 2x2 w/ Transport Package Reply with quote

For your consideration, questions, and comments.................Fredo

93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Nice little rig Reply with quote

Great job. I especially like that it folds up into a compact unit when not in use. Great for a small workspace.

A coat of paint and a board or screen to hide the pumps and you'd never know it was hand built.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done! I do like it very much!

Looks good. What pump are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shop is 186 sq. ft. with a 6 ft.7 in. ceiling, so a machine with a small foot print was important. I never read T. J.s book or any other how to vacuum former books. All the info. needed is right here on this site. My advice is to read this forum from start to finish. Almost any question you can think of has been asked and answered. Learn how to use the oven calculater. You can't go your own way with out it. Enough preaching, I'll get back to the machine. The stout little pump is a 1/3 hp 6 amp. 2 stage hvac 1.5 cfm. The tank is an 11 gal. HF air tank. The inital surge drops the tank from 29inhg to 25in.hg. The tank valve is closed, saving the remaining 25in.hg, and the pump finishes the pull at 29in.hg. Everthing happens in just a few seconds. It takes 2 minutes to pull the tank back to 29in.hg. Total pump run time 3 1/2 minutes for each pull. I run .125 abs in 7-8 minutes,with 3to3-1/2 minutes on the oven. The oven and the plastic holding frames are stuffed with 10 pounds of 8#ft3 fiber blanket. No hardibacker was used in building the oven. The platen differs from any found here,so I name it the flush draw platen. The 25,000+ holes draw the plastic flat to the platen. The molds sit flat on the platen with nothing under them. I could go on, but it would only count as one post. It took over 2 yrs. to get this far up the ranking ladder,two fingers at a time...........Fredo
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a fantastic compact vac table you've designed!

But does it make the Transformers sound when you flip over the oven? Laughing

I really like that the oven is folded over the table for storage. That would save a ton of space with my vac table in my garage. Hmm....

Thank you very much for sharing your pictures Fredo!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great work! You mentioned that the oven didn't use HardiBacker. What did you use & how is it working out?
Thanks, DougN
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floor of the oven is a 3/4 in 24in.x24in pc. of 8#cu.ft. blanket saturated w/silica dioxide and then pressed to 1/4 in.thick over an 1/8 predrilled alum. sub floor. After three days in the summer sun [wow sounds like a song] it was dry enough to trim the edges. The holes for the insulators were drilled from the back by hand. The oven floor shows no signs of change after a year of regular use. I expect it to out last me..........Fredo
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
The floor of the oven is a 3/4 in 24in.x24in pc. of 8#cu.ft. blanket saturated w/silica dioxide and then pressed to 1/4 in.thick over an 1/8 predrilled alum. sub floor. After three days in the summer sun [wow sounds like a song] it was dry enough to trim the edges. The holes for the insulators were drilled from the back by hand. The oven floor shows no signs of change after a year of regular use. I expect it to out last me..........Fredo

What is your source for this product & how much does it cost?
DougN
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much laid that out in the Hardi Backer and Cement Board thread............Fredo
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the high-low vac system I first went with. It worked just great, but was really just a waste of time. If you have a good hvac set up you don't need a vacuum cleaner.

This is the two valve 1 tank set up I use now.

This is the where the power for the oven comes in and is split. There are only three 600 watt segments. The center one is isolated and runs through an old 1000watt powerstat, 110volts in 0-140volts out. The center segment is in the exact center of the oven and can be controled to prevent over heating.

This is the second valve and last added................Fredo

Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Oven Temps. Reply with quote

Here is the ovens heat loss numbers after a 20 minute warm up. Oven start temp. 70F. Oven turned full on,1800 watts, lid on, no frames on the oven. After 20 minutes new temps taken with an IR thermometer. Outside wall temp. 88F. Inside wall temp. 425F. Lid temp. outside 105F, inside lid temp. 386F. Oven floor temp. was 405F, taken after the coils were off for 2 minutes with the lid left on. Outside bottom temp. 74F. [ 1/2 in. more insulation in the bottom]. IMO nothing H about it, what happens in the oven should stay in the oven, until you let it out...........Fredo
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have a French flag under your machine, did they surrender..... again? (J/K) Wink

Looks like a winner!
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 I did it to remind the French who pulled thier ass out of the fire last time. #2 I just couldn't live with a chinese red tank. #3 It's a chick magnet................Fredo.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to rebuild the oven this winter. It's really under powered... I'll be doubling the power by switching to 220 volt 3 segments. Will be making the oven a couple inches deeper and using 1"fiber board for the floor.. Will post a few of my other projects. Need to find a new site to host my pics.
Changed the frame to be 180* turnable like my 12"x12" Former....Being able to turn the frame while heating, and the increased heat will shorten the time to form. Be back when I can post some pics..
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could plug your oven into a 20 amp outlet? Then shorten the nichrome coils a bit to increase current flow and generate more heat.

My original 24"x32" oven was plenty hot on a 120 volt AC 20 amp outlet. It heated a sheet of .090ABS in 3.5 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: