www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Question about the voltage calculator.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Question about the voltage calculator. Reply with quote

I'll try not to fill up the forum with piles of newb posts, but when it comes to vacuum forming I am a total newb.

I am trying to understand the voltage calculator. And am trying to work out some preliminary designs.

1. What reason would I need to change the value of wattage from 2400?

2. I think I understand 'Segments' for a single coil oven, but how would I use the calculator for an oven design like Doug's Proto form machine with segmented heating elements? I am thinking that is a design I'd like to try.

Perhaps an oven of 24" x 32" or so with 5 elements.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fair amount of math involved with oven design. Or you could just wing it until the circuit breaker starts tripping, then back off a bit...

The limitations:
Your AC power supply is 120 volts (at best) Stick a meter in there and see what you are actually getting. No, I'm not kidding. Set your volt meter for AC volts, stick the red in one side, and the black in the other. What do you get? That's one of three values in Ohm's Law. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law )

I (current) = V (volts) / R (resistance)

Next, your circuit breaker is limited to either 15 amps (standard household issue), or 20 amps. How do you find out which one it is? Plug a lamp into the outlet for your oven. Go to your circuit breaker panel and turn off breakers until the lamp goes out. What's on the breaker, a 15 or a 20? There's the second value that you need for the Ohm's Law equation.

Multiply these two numbers together, and that will give you your total oven heat output, in watts.

Power (watts) = V (volts) * I (current aka amps)

For example, 115VAC * 15 Amps = 1725 Watts

Plug that into the Oven Calculator page instead of 2400

All of the nichrome ovens on this board are broken into segments. Whether it's a single spiraling coil like Thurston James, or separate planks like Doug Walsh. Each nichrome coil between the hot and neutral power terminals equals a segment.

A segment is a resistor, like a lightbulb. Put them in series, and they will all illuminate, but dimly, because each lightbulb adds resistance to the circuit, one right after the other. However, put the lightbulbs in parallel (like all of the oven designs on this board), and they will all glow VERY brightly. Putting resistors in parallel is like adding lanes to a highway - more traffic (current aka amps) can flow through faster.

So, let's engineer our oven:

You've got 115 VAC from the outlet, and a 15 amp breaker

115VAC / 15 amps = 7.667 ohms of total resistance for the whole oven

You want 5 segments.

5 * 7.7 ohms = 38.33 ohms per segment (12.778" of tightly coiled nichrome wire)

Wire up your oven in this manner:
Code:

-----------neutral----------
|      |      |      |     |
|      |      |      |     | 38.5 ohms for each segment
------------hot-------------

When you have it all wired up (all the hot terminals connected together, and all of the neutral terminals connected together, but unplugged from the wall), use your voltmeter (set to Ω ohms) to measure the resistance from the hot side to the neutral side. It will say 7.7Ω It doesn't matter where you put the lead on the hot side, nor does it matter where you put the lead on the neutral side. It will read 7.7Ω It's magic! Well, not really, it's a circuit with parallel resistors. You have 5 equal loads going from hot to neutral.

Plug your oven into your wall outlet and flip the switch to turn it on (I used a 4' long wood 2x4 aka "chicken stick")

Fire?

No, of course not. The circuit breaker will trip before the thing catches fire.

Heat? Yes, probably barely any noticeable heat.

DO NOT TOUCH THE COILS WITH YOUR BARE HAND!!!

My oven was underwhelming when I followed the calculations and turned it on, even after running it for 15 minutes. Now you will tweak it.

The trouble with theory is that it doesn't always match up with reality. I suspect the AC voltage throws off the calculation slightly when compared to DC voltage. So, unplug the oven from the wall, and trim one ohm of resistance off each segment, making them 37.5Ω each, then power it up again. Still not enough heat? Trim a little more. Repeat until the circuit breaker trips. Oops, too far. Put one ohm back onto the coil. Wait, you can't do that! It's like trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube! Remember that you got 10 feet of tightly wound nichrome coil? Ok, so you should have 55" left on that.

Disconnect one coil and measure the resistance. 7Ω? Wrong, I said disconnect the coil from either the hot or neutral bus! 34.5Ω (or somewhere around there)? Good. Now add two to that (36.5Ω), and cut segments from your remaining 55" of tightly coiled nichrome to match (36.5Ω). Wire them up in your oven, and you will have tweaked it to the maximum that your circuit breaker can handle.

Oh, you should only run your circuit breakers to 80% capacity for extended periods. But then your oven will never be hot enough to melt plastic. Ugh, call an electrician.

So, back to your original topic, the oven voltage calculator. It's a great way to figure out all of these calculations without having to manually to the math. But, without understanding the math, then you don't understand where the numbers come from, or what they mean. By reading Charlie's ridiculous long winded posts, hopefully you will get that understanding or just end up more confused. Based on the three numbers at the top watts, volts, and number of segments, it will do all of the math for you, and the most important number is "how long do I cut the nichrome coil?"

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Charlie, thanks for that, and thanks for taking the time to explain all that. It's a lot of food for thought. I should have been thinking of the nichrome wire as resistors all along, I see... I usually use ohm's law for calculating resistors in LED circuits in small-time prop projects. I am no electrician and have a lot to learn.

I will 'plug in' my voltmeter tonight and I will double check my relevant breaker (I am pretty sure I have a 20 amp breaker going to the outlet I want to use in the garage.)
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I took my measurements. I have 122.6 V AC at the outlet (WOW!), a 15 amp breaker, so that's 1839 watts ( V x AMP = watts)

It's 8.173 ohm total oven resistance, so with 5 segments it's about 41 ohms per segment (13.622" of tightly coiled nichrome wire.)

That sound right?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, you actually read the whole thing! Very impressive!

Your numbers look exactly right. Just remember, this is a starting point, and you'll probably need to trim the nichrome back a bit to maximize the output. The trick is tuning it without causing the breaker to trip all of the time.

Good luck, you are definitely on the right path!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: heater optimization.. Reply with quote

remember that there are 3 variables to use when heating plastic. Watt density, which is what you are messing with by "optimising the heater", distance and time. You might find (as I have) that the heat distribution pattern is as important as squeezing out the last watt of heat. Most plastics have a thermal "speed limit" and if you heat them faster than that, the surface facing the heated pays the price. A balanced heater without cold corners is a lot easier to use.....

If I had a 5 segment nichrome heater to tune, I might be making the connection at 1 end of the wire with an alligator clip so I can vary the
resistance by changing the connection location instead of clipping the wire..... It works on my foam cutters and such........

Scott.
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Scott, but are you talking about a spiral nicrome wire oven?

What I want to build is an oven like Doug's Proto-form machine with 5 separate panels rather than one long coil. So trimming the lengths of the coils in the segments to change the resistance is how I understand Charlies advice to work.

An even heating surface with an optimized heating element sounds like a wining combo to me. I know different plastics heat at different temps and burning is a hazard. Perhaps an infinite switch like in one of the vacuum forming books I have is a way to go? This is just conjecture as I have not seriously looked into using anything other than a simple SPST switch for the oven.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Proto-forms optimized panels each draw about 1200watts@ 220volts x 8 panels = about 44 amps. You would need a 220volt 50 amp breaker to run that 2x4 oven. A 24x32 with 5 of the same type panels would still draw 6000 watts, or about 27 amps at 220 volts...........Fredo
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fredo. I appreciate the advice.

But I am not making the exact proto form machine in Doug's plans. I am making a custom sized oven for my own less-grand-than-Doug's-former.

So if I use each panel as a 'segment' and restrict the nichrome wire in each segment to 13.622" (give or take some tweeking) with a total oven bed sized for 5 segments/panels of appropriate nichrome wire distribution (what ever that may end up being), won't that end up still fitting into the oven calculator findings of 122.6 V AC at the outlet per voltmeter, a 15 amp breaker, with 1839 watts ( V x AMP = watts)?

It's 8.173 ohm total oven resistance, so with 5 segments it's about 41 ohms per segment or 13.622" of tightly coiled nichrome wire per segment wired in series, right?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea the ProtoForm oven put out that much heat. That's some hot stuff baby! You'll never get that much output with a regular household outlet. A clothes dryer outlet is usually 30 amps at 220 VAC = 6600 watts. A kitchen stove is usually 50 amps at 220 VAC = 11,000 watts, plus you'll need some 8 gauge wire to run that much current without melting the jacket.

Your question should be "is 1839 watts enough to heat a 32" x 24" sheet of plastic?"

I suspect your heat output on the 15 amp circuit may be a little low. It will take longer to heat the plastic to forming temperature, but that's not a completely bad thing either. As Scott mentioned, heating the plastic too quickly can result in orange peel finish. I can't imagine where you would run into trouble heating it too slowly.

One really cool feature of the over under design is that as the plastic heats and starts to sag, the middle droops further from the heat source. This will help avoid burning the plastic in the middle of the sheet before the edges are soft enough to form. Are you building an over under style vac table?

My oven heats .125 or 1/8" HIPS from underneath in about 4 minutes while putting out 2400 watts. I suspect your oven would take at least 6 to 8 minutes. You may become impatient and want to hold the plastic closer to the oven coils, but then you ruin the distribution pattern - the infra-red energy needs to bounce around and diffuse, otherwise you'll see the pattern of the coils in your sheet Shocked

Do you have a 20 amp outlet (to create 2452 watts) near your workshop that you could plug into?

Charlie
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie. Yes I do plan on building an over-under former. All the breakers in the box are clearly labeled and I tested them. there is only one breaker for the garage and it is 15amp. I don;t want to hire an electrician just for this so I will work with what I have.

Perhaps if I change the size of the oven bed and build it in two 3-segment sections wires in series... Each plugging into a 15amp 122.6V wall socket?

122.6V AC
15 amp
1839 watts
3 segments (per half of oven)

total resistance: 8.173 ohm
segment resistance: 24.52 ohm
segment length: 8.173" (tightly coiled)

24" x 24" total bed size (includes both sets of 3 panels/segments)
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulla,

You said you tested the breaker...is it dedicated?
did you turn it off and look around the house to see if any other appliances/ outlets are using that same breaker?
here in Ca. it is common to run the bath room lights and out door lights off that same breaker. if the house was built before 1980 it may power some plugs also.
if it shares you do not have the full 15 amps !!!
just my 2 cents.
good luck with your project.
sulla
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The breaker is only for the garage outlets, garage lights, and outdoor outlets and outdoor lights, like the porch light and a light on a pole in the yard. The garage has a few things plugged in that are in regular use - some shop lights, and a water softener, but nothing else, except at night when the yard light comes on.

The house is less than 10 years old.

Could I just lower the amperage in the equation to play it safe and still get reasonable results?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitting the oven in half and running them to separate circuit breakers would work perfectly. That's what another member did to solve the "circuit breaker tripping all the time" problem. Now you need to find two outlets on separate circuits from the garage. Remember, you'll need the garage outlet for your vacuum pump and other various implements of construction.

Backing off by a couple of amps on each side should work ok. That means a little more resistance per segment. I like the alligator clip suggestion for tweaking, just be sure there's no way the clip will fall off. And in the event it might fall off, make sure it doesn't land on anything conductive. A big plyboard might be good to have underneath. A piece of aluminum would be bad!

Charlie
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whao! hoss!!!

just an other breaker will not due!!!!
THE SECOND BREAKER MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE OTHER PHASE WIRE IN THE PANEL BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
two breakers on the same phase wires will just melt the nichrome heating wire/ or burn something...

advice comes with responsibility !!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: