www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mold Making Question???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Mold Making Question??? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use Clay as a mold. I ask because I see Oven Clay. Basically you make the mold stick it in the oven and its hard to use. Will this work.

The items I am making are not very big and are solid.
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mold Making Question??? Reply with quote

[quote="ahillworks"]Is it possible to use Clay as a mold. I ask because I see Oven Clay. Basically you make the mold stick it in the oven and its hard to use. Will this work.

The items I am making are not very big and are solid.[/quote]

If your talking about Sculpy and Super Sculpy, it is an oil based clay that sets at oven temps.

I think it depends on the size. I've had larger pieces crack, almost like very hard rubber after it ages. It might not hold up to the heat/reheat cycle of the vac forming. It does set very hard and is pretty darn heavy.

If you don't need to heat your mold to pull, then you might be ok.

Hope that helps. I would make a positive and negative mold from Sculpy and test it out. With the extra negative, you can always make a new positive from a different material and not have to start from scratch if it doesn't work.

JRoss
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks allot this is all good info. Lucky for me these molds are not very big and can be used a few times till i can make some new molds after a few pulls.
Vacuform

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Clay as a mold? Reply with quote

For the initial design I use an "Air-Dry Clay" and it works great. I see the problem though, I only use it a couple of times and then I pour Plaster of Paris in the vacuformed mold and use the PP as my master after that. Some don't like PP but it works great for me. I bake the PP after it dries so that I can file and sand the object and do some fine carving. I can get some fine detail that way. BTW, Michaels carries "Air-Dry Clay" as do a lot of craft stores.
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Vacuform about using water clay, as it is what I use for all my sculpts. I will add that it blocks out very quickly and solidifies as it dries. You can let the form dry until it is "leather like" and it will carve like soap. The use of metal tools, such as a spring-steel kidney work great for a smooth surface.

It can be vacuformed right over the clay with no problem. If there is anyadjustment that needs to be made, it can be done very quickly for another test pull. Once you have a good pull that you like, pour stone (Hydrostone. Plaster of Paris is too weak) and you have your buck.

Be sure to post pics when done.
Vacuform

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, Plaster of Paris is weak, and there are several stone formulas that work fantastic and the buck will last a long time. A number of them were formulated for the dental industry so they keep fine detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: