Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Retro AR15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it. Did you have any issues putting the lower together? The one I got was off slightly. The trigger guard pin holes were off center, and the magazine release button hole was off, too high and caused the mag release to bind. Also, the pivot pin detent shelf was too high, and I had to remove some material to get the pin to install. I did get it put together, but I'm not 100% sure mine is going to function properly. I need to take it out and test it. I'm afraid the trigger and hammer pin holes may be too high as well, and if that's the case, there may be a problem striking the firing pin. It seems to dry fire and manual cycle fine, so we'll see. I think my lower was a second. It is marked as a multi-caliber and is out of stock from TM for a few months. I think it was pulled to fill our order. I'm hopeful it will function and if not, oh, well. I'll go with something else. LOL.

BTW, if you need to borrow my compressor, I can assist with that. I don't have a dryer, but I think I can add one for less than $20 from Harbor freight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mine went together without any trouble. As for the compressor, it turns out that I've got one that works, and a spray gun. Any chance you could show me what this dryer looks like? I'm still not 100% sure just what I'm looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should do what you need it to do. $6 at Harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94733

Last edited by jegner on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the link. I now know what to look for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

did that A1 upper fit the lower, or was there any weird front pivot pin issues? I know some of the Colt's had a non-standard oversized front pivot pin, making it not-easy to assemble without a special adaptor pin.

Just wondering.

Jim

Oh, and for a supply of those 20 round mags, try http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH20
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim. Yeah, the A1 upper fit this A2 lower without any problems. I'd read that there were differences in the civilian Colts and the military ones, and with the really early stuff. Mine went together as slick as you could want.

And hey, thanks for the link. I hope to get about 7 of those 20-rounders. Six to keep in some pouches and I figured it would look good displayed with the other 20 round... more period correct.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to hear. I saw on the AR15.com retro board a few weeks ago, someone is finishing the barrels out and offering them up as kits too. Funny the other vendors are not. I guess the cost?

Oh, and the NHMTG mags are nice. I think they are the suppliers for the big name makers. I have a couple of Colt mags, that have the NHMTG cage code stamp markings on them.

I'm sure there are some vintage 'Adventure Line' ones floating around at the fun shows, but for $11, that going to be hard to beat. I do sort of like the vintage aluminum followers though.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I was thinking that maybe after a while, and after some saving up, I'd like to try to make a replica of the Vietnam XM177 carbine. I'd run across a place that sells an XM177 upper half, but it has the A2 upper, so I'd have to find a proper one of those. However it didn't have the 5 inch flash hider with it. Where would I find one of these, and would soldering it to the barrel count as a permanent mounting, or would it need to be welded?
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint F. wrote:
Jim, I was thinking that maybe after a while, and after some saving up, I'd like to try to make a replica of the Vietnam XM177 carbine. I'd run across a place that sells an XM177 upper half, but it has the A2 upper, so I'd have to find a proper one of those. However it didn't have the 5 inch flash hider with it. Where would I find one of these, and would soldering it to the barrel count as a permanent mounting, or would it need to be welded?

Clint,

Silver soldered, welded, or pinned counts as "permanently attached".
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang. Just a little update. I'll be taking the barrel in to get the taper pin holes drilled next week (I decided I better leave that to the experts), and I'll see about buying the air compressor dryer and ordering the Colt gray Dura-Coat then too. I've purchased a Vietnam-issue sling for it also.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clint!

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the clamp-on FSB won'y work, but the taper pins is the right way to go, IMHO for a vintage type GI build.

BTW, If you are interested in some of my XM177 parts, I'm getting ready to repurpose that gun, and as it stands now, I'm not really going to need them soon. PM me for the details.

Jim
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, thanks man. I'll see if I can get you some funds for that.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owe a big thanks Jim, for giving me a good deal on those XM parts. Since I've hit a snag with the retro A1 barrel, I went ahead and installed the XM177 upper on my A2 lower. I'll be getting another lower from Spike's Tactical so that I won't have to keep swapping the parts out. Anyone got a good resource for a surplus M16A1 bolt carrier and charging handle?

Anyhow, here's how it looks decked out as a XM177.

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something? There's an A2 brass deflector on that upper!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: