www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the week 18-Jan-06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Tip of the week 18-Jan-06 Reply with quote

Bondo: The wonder material!
I use this stuff all the time. It's cheap, easy to use, and can be found at the local Walmart. I use the automotive kind, the one in the red can. It's generic name is polyester resin for automotive body panel repair.

Why use it? Great for building up forms and shapes, smoothing out boo-boos, fabricating missing parts, oh, and repairing dents on your car.

Mix according to directions. I use a golf ball size blob of the cream colored stuff, and a 1.5 inch bead of the red hardener.

Bondo goes through several 'stages' as it cures. Right when you mix it together, bondo is like toothpaste consistency. This is the time you need to smear it on like cake iceing. Wear rubber gloves, and try to get as smooth a surface as you can. Wait 2-3 minutes, and the bondo will start to firm up. It will be like hard cheese. You can even grate it with a shur-form tool, rasp or other coarse file. After about 5 minutes, it sets to very hard. Much like that of MDF or poplar wood. Now, you sand.

It its important to 'work' the bondo at it's various stages, save a lot of effort shaping it. Bondo will stick to almost any surface, and will take a primer great.

Wear a dust mask, and work in a well vented area. Bondo smells pretty bad.

For a faster set, use more of the red tube hardener. Also, invest in those 'spreaders'.

No real strength in bondo, as it is not intended to be an adhesive. Some versions have fiberglass mixed in to add strength.

So, the next time you need to make a part from scratch, and forming it from wood, just won't cut it, try building up some bondo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Armour Downunder
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great product I found is PermaPoxy. It’s a 5 minute epoxy which comes in a 2 oz container.
It’s like a 1” x 3” roll of plasticine with the hardener in the centre.
You just cut off the amount you require and massage it together until it’s a uniform grey colour
then make the part you want, or use it as filler or whatever. It’s generally for smaller jobs
because a 2oz lot doesn’t go too far. If I had a lot of filling to do Id be using Bondo.
It has the same characteristics as Bondo as it goes through stages when hardening
so I guess the same method of sanding and finishing would apply.
As it says, its about 5 minutes working time before it starts to cure.
The stuff I use is called Plastic & Fibreglass Epoxy and it states that it will work on
ABS, Acrylic, Fibreglass, PVC, Styrene, Steel, Vinyl and wood.
I’m not sure of its actual ability to stick to items but as yet I’ve had no problems with it.
There are other sorts for different applications but this one covers all the requirements that I need.
I guess you would have something similar in the US, its found in the Automotive store over here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Another Bondo alternative Reply with quote

I use "Acryl-Green" putty. Basically it comes in a large tube (like toothpaste) and has worked well for ABS, Polystyrene and wood. It is supposed to work well with metal also (just haven't had a chance to test this). It has the consistency of regular filler putty (I.E. Squadron Green, White, etc..) Dries fast and holds up well... As any product of this type has a certainamount of Toxicity to the long term use and exposere for skin, the use of latex gloves is recommended!!!!!!

I used it to re-sculpt the left knee area on my thigh armor and it works well...

A large tube will run you about 15-22 USD at any NAPA Auto Store.
MEPD
Blaxmyth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armour Downunder wrote:
Another great product I found is PermaPoxy. It’s a 5 minute epoxy which comes in a 2 oz container.
It’s like a 1” x 3” roll of plasticine with the hardener in the centre.
You just cut off the amount you require and massage it together until it’s a uniform grey colour
then make the part you want, or use it as filler or whatever.

Just a small note of caution on products that require mixing together by hand - I used some of this years ago - a ribbon of blue and white stuff from memory - and the skin on my thumb and first finger blistered and peeled for approximately 5 years! No pain at all, and it's OK now - 20 years down the track. Probably just me, but I'd wear gloves next time - if only the stuff wasn't so sticky. FWIW, Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: