www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Snap Together Plastic Parts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Snap Together Plastic Parts? Reply with quote

One thing I would like to do with these machines is build custom RC aircraft.

Carbon fiber costs too much, and the only other alternative is some kind of foam.

I'm thinking of plastic because I don't think foam shapes of what I want to build wouldn't look too realistic.

Therefore I was wondering if its possible with these kind of hobbyist tools to make snap together parts?

Or does that require a level of precision unachievable with hobby level equipment?

Thanks

LC
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first question.. yes with good design and tooling, snap together parts are doable. I'd wish you luck finding sheet goods with the properties you need. One of the bigger old line ARF houyses was Lanier. They vac formed a LOT of airplanes but used crutches to carry loads and foam core wings. Try not to re-invent the wheel, look and learn....

For RC Birds, if carbon is non-affordable, use E or S glass. nothing wrong with it, it'l just weigh a bit more, on bigger models its easy to make weight anyway.

Hope this helps..

Scott..
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spektr wrote:
first question.. yes with good design and tooling, snap together parts are doable.

Quote:
I'd wish you luck finding sheet goods with the properties you need.

Does that mean it will be difficult? :p

Quote:
One of the bigger old line ARF houyses was Lanier. They vac formed a LOT of airplanes but used crutches to carry loads and foam core wings. Try not to re-invent the wheel, look and learn....

Interesting. I'll look into that...

Although I'm thinking more about VTOL helicopter shapes than traditional fuselage-wing designs.

Example:

Quote:

For RC Birds, if carbon is non-affordable, use E or S glass. nothing wrong with it, it'l just weigh a bit more, on bigger models its easy to make weight anyway.

E or S glass? Is that some kind of mutant fiber glass? Laughing

EDIT: This stuff?:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=764

http://www.azom.com/SearchResults.asp?MaterialKeyWord=S-glass
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool..... Well if you use PETG it would work. Only concern is getting them to fuse together like a snap in system. But I am sure if you take your time and think it out it could be done. I would think a negative mold would need to be made since the detail is what your looking for. This type of mold would also help with the snap in process since you can design and pull that part easy on a negative mold.

Worse case is do one half of the body and then other half and then paint each one on the inside so the paint wont get hurt and then glue each peace together making it one. Most hobbyist I know around here just do this process.
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
Very cool..... Well if you use PETG it would work. Only concern is getting them to fuse together like a snap in system. But I am sure if you take your time and think it out it could be done. I would think a negative mold would need to be made since the detail is what your looking for. This type of mold would also help with the snap in process since you can design and pull that part easy on a negative mold.

I guess I also need to look more into molds... :p

Quote:
Worse case is do one half of the body and then other half and then paint each one on the inside so the paint wont get hurt and then glue each peace together making it one. Most hobbyist I know around here just do this process.

That's what I was thinking of doing anyway, half of one side and then the other side.

EDIT: Also, do you know anyone whose done more than just make a canopy with their vac former?

I would like to make airsoft guns, RC planes and whatnot, not just canopies! Razz
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight lenses, louvered quarter windows, naca ducts, pet coffins, pistol cases, drug boxes, battery boxes, violin cases, race car components, aircraft windows, acrylic domes of all sizes, P51 Mustang Canopys, Sea Fury Canopy, F4F wildcat canopys BUT Never model aircraft canopys.....

Scott.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: