www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Is there room for Hannibal Lecter ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Cubberly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Is there room for Hannibal Lecter ?? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Ed Cubberly here. Just found your site today. I'm not new to mold or mask making but have zero experience in vacuum forming. So I'm here to pick a lot of brains and soak up some info.

You may or may not know my name but probably have heard of Hannibal Lecter. I designed and created the mask worn by Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. I pretty well known in the hockey world for making NHL goalie masks for 12 seasons.

I'm interested in learning how to vacuum form Lexan over lifecasts of various sizes. I saw the You tube video with heating some plastic then stretching over a lifecast.

Can I use the same technique for Lexan ?
Are there any posts related to this ?
What temp should I set the oven ?
How can I avoid the bubbles in the Lexan ?
Can Lexan be painted ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Check out my site when you can.
www.edcubberly.com

Ed
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I love the Lecter mask... it's one of the replicas I've wanted to add to my own collection for years now. Such a simple but iconic thing!

Sadly I can't speak on Lexan forming... I haven't worked with that before. I at least wanted to say hello!
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Take a look through here: http://support.knowlton.ohio-state.edu/files/FormechVacuumGuide.pdf and see they answer some of your questions. They don't list lexan, but there is still a lot of info there.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ed, glad you found your way here. Definitely an interesting website. The write-up on creating goalie masks was real interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't do lexan either. However, I suspect that Spekter/Scott will chime in here soon and he's the resident expert on most things.

DougN
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board.

Lexan or acrylic is pretty easy to form, and it sounds like you are just going to use the life cast as a mold, and the oven side of the vac-form machine to heat the plastic. Correct? A vacuum would pull the plastic to a point of entrapment, unless you are just talking about using the face part of the life cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ed Cubberly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Lexan or acrylic is pretty easy to form, and it sounds like you are just going to use the life cast as a mold, and the oven side of the vac-form machine to heat the plastic. Correct? A vacuum would pull the plastic to a point of entrapment, unless you are just talking about using the face part of the life cast.

Thanks for the greeting and input to this very green vac former. And Thank You Scott for the call today.

Yes ,the lifecast will be the mold. I've been warned against cooking the plastic in the kitchen oven. Are there any photos of a basic vacuum set up on this board ? I'm told I'll need a 10 gal empty propane tank with a T fitting using a 1/4" fitting connected to a check valve and then to the vacuum. The other 1/4" fitting off the T connects to a ball valve.

What type of hose will I need from the vacuum to the table ?

Thanks,
Ed
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=572 might help get you started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonesix wrote:
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Take a look through here: http://support.knowlton.ohio-state.edu/files/FormechVacuumGuide.pdf and see they answer some of your questions. They don't list lexan, but there is still a lot of info there.

In Fact the Formech vacuum guide lists Lexan.
Itīs name is Polycarbonate. Lexan is a brand name like Makrolon, which is exactly the same material

Lexan has to be "dried" before forming to avoid bubbles caused by the entrapped moisture.
The Formech Vacuum Guide gives directions on temp and time for drying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: