www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
PSI of vacuum tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: PSI of vacuum tank Reply with quote

I know I saw this somewhere but I can not find the post again. What PSI are you pulling your storage tank down to for the vacuum?
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the magic number seems to be 25 inches, less than that and sometimes you will lack detail, of course, thats for PETG and ABS. Other plastics are much more forgiving and need far less vacuum
Tarohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spektr wrote:
the magic number seems to be 25 inches, less than that and sometimes you will lack detail, of course, thats for PETG and ABS. Other plastics are much more forgiving and need far less vacuum

Wow so that's about -12.5 PSI. Across a larger surface area that is a lot of inward pressure. I was thinking about making my own and still may but going to have to really do some thinking about it first.

With a 24 X 24 inch platen with 1/2 spacer that gives me about 1.25 gallons of dead space. What kind of volume do you think would be needed? My thought is a 20 gallon or so tank would good.

Now before anyone warns me of the dangers of making a tank I completely understand and know whats involved.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarohn wrote:
Wow so that's about -12.5 PSI. Across a larger surface area that is a lot of inward pressure. I was thinking about making my own and still may but going to have to really do some thinking about it first.

With a 24 X 24 inch platen with 1/2 spacer that gives me about 1.25 gallons of dead space. What kind of volume do you think would be needed? My thought is a 20 gallon or so tank would good.

Now before anyone warns me of the dangers of making a tank I completely understand and know whats involved.

Well, the danger depends upon your skill level and what materials the "tank" is made from. I used an old air compressor tank that I got for free.
DougN
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 10 gallon tanks on my 2x2 that I can pull down to 26". I haven't formed anything yet so I can't say how awesome it is, but from what I've read, that should be a good medium performance system.
Tarohn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning toward a tank that will be about 30 gallons. I have access to steel to about 1 inch thick. I will run the numbers but I am sure that it will be fine.
Hirgon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a single 20 gallon air compressor tank....so far no problems with pulls.
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarohn wrote:
I am leaning toward a tank that will be about 30 gallons. I have access to steel to about 1 inch thick. I will run the numbers but I am sure that it will be fine.

just for curiosity, why go through the fuss of building your own tank? it seems like the raw materials would cost almost as much as buying one, never mind the labor...
Tarohn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormtrooperguy wrote:
just for curiosity, why go through the fuss of building your own tank? it seems like the raw materials would cost almost as much as buying one, never mind the labor...

I am sure that normally the material would cost as much as just buying a tank but I have access to the steel for $.05 lb if I nest the part I want cut into other things being cut. I am guessing that it will weigh about 100 lbs so thats only $5.00. We also have all the welders here that can weld the thicker steel ok. Now I dont have the skill to do that kind welding but have a couple of friends here that do.

Plus I just like building stuff Smile
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense then!

i'm happy with the $40 / 10 gallon tanks i got at lowes, but $120 for 3 of them is a lot more than $5!!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston James suggests a 30 gallon tank for a 24x24 size machine. 20 gallons is good in you don't have any loss of vacuum or your platen seals up nicely, the 30 gal. tank offer a bit more reserve.

Old hot water heater tanks are all the rage for this type of thing. 15 psi is about all there is as absolute vacuum is different than high pressure stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

welding / building pressure vessels...
dangerous!

after all welding is completed you must naturalize the entire tank!!!
if not done the welds will fatigue crack and fail in a bad way...
the tempature and time duration depend on material used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: