www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Ramblings from n00bville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0x23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Ramblings from n00bville. Reply with quote

Hello.
So after having a great interest in prop and modeling building for quite some time and admiring it from a distance, I finally and foolishly said..."Hey, I can do that".

But after reading some of the Secret Handshake, "elitism" at other places, discovering this forum is like finding Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket.

Mike C.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! What sort of props are you interested in making?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
n0x23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jim!

Well, I'm interested in many aspects of theatrical/ movie costuming, special FX, prop building, etc., but my main and life-long interest is the original Star Wars Trilogy....more specifically, the "bad guys". Wink

I've been slowly putting the soft parts to my Biker Scout together and trying to figure out my option regarding the plastic parts, so, I decided to sculpt a Scout bucket from scratch, I'm in the preliminary stages with that....so far, it's been alot of fun, extremely challenging, but fun!

I'm on a shoe-string budget so cardboard, duct-tape, styrofoam, Bondo, the .99cent Store and eBay have been my best friends.

I've drawn several pictures of Scouts and I try to make them as realistic and accurate as possible***, I then decided to translate my research and what I learned from my drawings into 3D and watching SKYGUNBRO's videos on YouTube really inspired me to jump into this head-first.

***(Here's a few of my Scout drawings I was referring to, if posting them violates any of the Forum's rules, I apologize and will remove them.)

(click on thumbnails for full size image)

Here's one more, same theme , different characters.

coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0x23 wrote:
I then decided to translate my research and what I learned from my drawings into 3D

Excellent artwork... what are you using for 3D modeling? Or do you mean 3D as in real-life. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Excellent artwork... what are you using for 3D modeling? Or do you mean 3D as in real-life.

Thank you, coffeehedake.

3D in real life.
Unfortunately there are no CAD abilities here, all I've got are reference photos, a measuring tape and a squinty eye.

I became slightly concerned today when UPS delivered a package and I ignored the item inside and just focused on the cardboard box and the styrofoam packing. Laughing
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0x23 wrote:

Unfortunately there are no CAD abilities here, all I've got are reference photos, a measuring tape and a squinty eye.

nice! my favorite tools Smile

i've got a scout bucket on my eventual radar too. a friend of mine has all the molds for the armor, but can't make helmets. i'd like to be able to fill that gap.

ideally i'll do vac formed, since production is WAY cheaper that way than resin / fiberglass.

i'll get there eventually!
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0x23 wrote:
I became slightly concerned today when UPS delivered a package and I ignored the item inside and just focused on the cardboard box and the styrofoam packing. Laughing

Ain't nothin' wrong with that:

Just ignore my ugly mug in that shot... Wink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice art! Thanks for sharing!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
n0x23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've got a scout bucket on my eventual radar too. a friend of mine has all the molds for the armor, but can't make helmets. i'd like to be able to fill that gap.

Yea, I would like to try and resolve some of the slight inaccuracies that I've noticed on the current helmets available....not saying that I will be 100% successful and it is setting the bar pretty high for my first sculpt, but I'm hopeful, sure, some may call it delusional, but I prefer hopeful. Wink

Quote:
Ain't nothin' wrong with that:

Well, at least I'm not alone.

Quote:
Nice art! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Jim, I really appreciate that! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: