www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Retro AR15
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Retro AR15 Reply with quote

Well, I decided to take the plunge and get me one of the Colt M16A1 parts kits that have shown up on the surplus market. When I opened the package, I was shocked to discover the parts were in really, REALLY good condition. Mine came with a new barrel, though it needs parkerizing and the dimples for the front sight pins drilled. They also included the proper bayonet, a Colt 30-round magazine, and a cleaning kit. I am very pleased with the kit I received.

Shown in the picture are the original M16A1 parts, and on the lower-right, the DPMS semi-auto trigger, hammer, and disconnect I bought for it. My receiver from Tactical Machining should arrive later in the month.

Last edited by Clint F. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your kit was in nice shape. Too bad the barrel needs to be drilled, but looks like the barrel extension is installed, so head spacing should not be an issue.

Can you do the parkerizing at KC? Not sure what is involved in indexing the the barrel once it's installed in the upper receiver, but I bet it's not a big deal . The barrel extension has a slot cut for alignment, and that should be all there is to it, but the front sight base, thats a different story. Marking the location of the taper pin holes should not be a big deal, but drilling them perfectly, the first time, well... thats beyond what I think I can do. Can the GunDoc. do that?

Fun stuff. Shoot me some detail pics when you get a chance! I'd really like to see that thing up close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we can go the parkerizing at KC and most likely the taper pin holes too. The area on the barrel for the front sight base is slightly over-sized, but I can chuck it into a lathe and hit it with sandpaper and that aught to get it. I just hate having to wait until the Spring gunsmithing class starts up to get to shoot it. Laughing

Here are some close-ups of the receiver and bolt.

Last edited by Clint F. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Yea, I know it sucks to wait before the g-smith class starts to work on it. I was reading online http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=472007 where the barrels are to be 'bead blasted' before parkerizing. Are these 'in the white' barrels already blasted?

Those parts look really nice. Factor in the Colt parts, off basically brand new demilled rifles, and you have some really cherry parts. It's a pitty the barrel needs some attention, otherwise, you just assemble an AR lower, and slap it all on! Oh, well, not too bad, and you get the more desirable bolt and carrier, early features upper, and more!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel has not been bead blasted yet. It looks like it was straight off the lathe. I went ahead and fitted the front sight base and assembled the upper, just for grins. Went together very easily. I'll take it all apart again and have the guys at The Gun Doctor drill those holes. It shouldn't take them too long for this, and then after I get that lower, I can go ahead and assemble it. For the time being, I'll just slap a coat of cold blue on it, then remove that when I bead blast it prior to parkerizing.

Last edited by Clint F. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks the business! Sounds like a plan.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Nice! I always liked the look of the older M16's (AR-15's, etc.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always preferred the sleek retro look myself. Also, I found that the old style triangle handguards were more comfortable, to me, than the modern round ones.

I'll update as I make progress. The receiver aught to arrive in a couple of weeks or so.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe the AR15/M16 has been around 40 something years. Lots of changes have been made to it's platform in all that time, but dang, it's still the frontline weapon, with about a 4th significant revision... and looks to be for at least another 10 years. My feelings are that one reason is it's modular flexibility. And to the civilian market, a truck load of different calibers.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well I got my new Tactical Machining receiver and boy is it a beauty. It went together without any problems, even for an AR novice like me. The anodizing doesn't match my upper, but I figure a spray of Dura-Coat will fix that.

Last edited by Clint F. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Thats really starting to come together. I was hoping the lower would match better, but that older Colt grey is a hard match. You might look at the retro board over on AR15.com they might have some tips for matching the lower to the upper or vice-a versa.

Glad you are happy with it, and you had no problems putting it together!

Jim
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been looking at Duracoat's finishes,a nd they do indeed offer a Colt Grey. So after a while, I'll be ordering some of that. The only downside is that I'll need to use a paint sprayer for it. I understand I have one somewhere, but no air compressor... It'd be nice if they offered it in aresol cans, but beggars can't be choosers.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint F. wrote:
Well, I've been looking at Duracoat's finishes,a nd they do indeed offer a Colt Grey. So after a while, I'll be ordering some of that. The only downside is that I'll need to use a paint sprayer for it. I understand I have one somewhere, but no air compressor... It'd be nice if they offered it in aresol cans, but beggars can't be choosers.

You probably know this already, but make sure the compressor has a "dryer" on it. I found out the hard way that without the dryer water droplets will create fisheyes.
hth, DougN
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the tip! I did not know that. My knowledge of air compressors and painting with anything more complicated than a brush or a rattle can is limited to say the very least. Muchas gracias.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still haven't been able to get the barrel pin holes drilled, or parkerized the barrel, but here you can at least get an idea what it will look like when I do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: