www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Newbie in VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmatter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Newbie in VA Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new here but hope to be able to learn much.

I am the industrial designer at Virginia industrial plastic inc. A heavy gauge thermoforming plant located in north western Virginia. www.vaplastic.com

I am fairly proficient with solidworks, and I have access to 2
3 axis cnc's a 5 axis cnc and a laser.

I have a personal interest interest in both mendel, and makerbot. My wife and I home-school our children and I thought it would be a great project for the kids and myself alike. Then they could print off things like the inner ear for school models and such. or maybe some toys for their siblings.

I am completely clueless about the software involved. what kind of files will they print from? STL?

also is there anywhere I can find the plans/dxf to laser cut my own makerbot body here at work?

any help will be much appreciated. Very Happy
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

Makerbot is an opensource project, so you can simply download the needed files from the official makerbot site
Here on Thingiverse,too:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:457
tmatter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you.

After actually getting to look around the site I saw that there are several references to material for forming as we as materials for making molds.

If anyone is interested From time to time we end up with odd lots of material. Usually .093, .0625, .125 black abs, and styrene. occasionally it's not haircell. we also have kydex, hdpe, Ldpe in the same thicknesses. and even some .040 white smooth/smooth styrene as well.

as far as mold materials go. if we are doing smaller qty. jobs we'll use a dense urethane foam. "ren-shape" we usually end up with odd smaller sized pcs of that as well. It would be good for weapons, communicators, or a whole array of small things.

if anyone is interested send me a pm.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmatter wrote:
thank you.

After actually getting to look around the site I saw that there are several references to material for forming as we as materials for making molds.

If anyone is interested From time to time we end up with odd lots of material. Usually .093, .0625, .125 black abs, and styrene. occasionally it's not haircell. we also have kydex, hdpe, Ldpe in the same thicknesses. and even some .040 white smooth/smooth styrene as well.

as far as mold materials go. if we are doing smaller qty. jobs we'll use a dense urethane foam. "ren-shape" we usually end up with odd smaller sized pcs of that as well. It would be good for weapons, communicators, or a whole array of small things.

if anyone is interested send me a pm.

Wow, sounds real interesting. Are you vac forming LDPE? If so, what thicknesses and what is the process compared to ABS? I'd love to get ahold of some black LDPE in sheets of 24"x48" for vac forming. Also, I might be interested in some ABS in the same size for prototype work. The 3/16" I use for production ships in from Alro Plastics in Jackson Michigan.
Thanks, Doug
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. Neat project. I wish I had the time to do the same thing. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: