www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Making bucks from FG moulds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sskunky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Making bucks from FG moulds Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have recently bought a set of Fiberglass TK armour moulds and need to reverse them into bucks for a former. These are first generation moulds taken from a screen used set of armour so all rights reserved;) I understand about damning up the recesses but have been told that the run off the edges should be a shallow sloping as poss to aid the release once the pieces are formed. The only thing wrong with this is that there should be a return on the armour to give he appearence of thickness. Thus the angle of the edges of the buck need to be flat.
Does this work ok for forming or will I have problems releasing the plastic from the mould?
I'm using Acrystal Prima plaster as it's very strong and has an extremely low expansion rate. What's the best release agent to use if pouring plaster into Fiberglass? Silicone spray? liquid Soap? Vaselene?
I have a vacuum chamber to degas the plaster so bubble free casts:)
any advice or tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Pics might help us advise you better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sskunky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,
You are right . I'll take some and post.
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my clone armor i have very steep sides, some minor undercuts, and very deep pulls.

it all works out, but each piece has to be cut off the molds. this of course damages the molds, so i am pretty much constantly repairing things. i'd say every 10 kits or so i've had to spend a couple of days repairing damage.

the fiberglass molds you have... are they negatives or positives? if it's a negative, i'd suggest pouring positives with ultracal and just going at it on those... if you damage the ultracal too badly you can always pour another.

if you have positive fiberglass i'd so the same, but would make a waste mold as an extra step. i've been playing around with using alginate for 1 time molds of positives like that. it's cheap and dries fast. it's fragile, but if you are only looking for 1 casting that's not such a bad thing.
sskunky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stormtrooperguy.
That's pretty much what I thought. I've found a very strong plaster called Acrystal Prima. It has a very low exotherm when drying and only has 0.1% expansion rate. It is used for delicate ceiling roses where thin designs need pulling from molds without breaking. It's supposed to be the strongest of the plasters available. The only drawback is it's price, not cheap. I'll let you know how it performs.
All my damned up armor is ready to pour into. I have gone with steep sides so as to get a return to add thickness to the armor without having to use a hobby iron.
I'll post pics after my first casting.
sskunky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is where I'm at so far.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: