www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
my vacuum holding tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panhandle_shovelheadrider
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: my vacuum holding tank Reply with quote

I went to sea for all my life and we had to use what we had there is few Graingers or lowes in the ocean.
I had a 20' length of 4 " PVC pipe left over from a drain project.
I think that is about 7 gals?I put cap in both ends and and threaded with 1/2" npt
It runs along the wall of my shop,but you could cut and stack it modular to move .
also PVC does not rust
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better calculate the volume it may be less than you think?

Also, never use PVC for air pressure but vacuum is OK. I used a 6 inch PVC pipe to add volume to my air compressor. It was rated for much higher pressure than I used it for but it still exploded one day. I heard a faint hissing and when I touched it, it went off like a grenade and blew me off the ladder. I had hearing loss for days and almost severed a tendon in my foot from the shrapnel!!

Sorry for the gory details,.. just want to make sure no one else gets the idea to use it for air pressure.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your math is how many gallons?My pump is a varian sd 300 and it is big enough that no tank is needed for what I am doing.Pipe can be stacked and made larger. I use metal pipe
for my compressor that runs 175bls for my sandblaster.
I used a 55 gal drum with window cut into it for cabinet etc a hf 40lb pressure plaster.
I like to use what I have on hand and use my mind to make things
I am a gyrogearloose fan
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayaker43 wrote:
Better calculate the volume it may be less than you think?

Also, never use PVC for air pressure but vacuum is OK. I used a 6 inch PVC pipe to add volume to my air compressor. It was rated for much higher pressure than I used it for but it still exploded one day. I heard a faint hissing and when I touched it, it went off like a grenade and blew me off the ladder. I had hearing loss for days and almost severed a tendon in my foot from the shrapnel!!

Sorry for the gory details,.. just want to make sure no one else gets the idea to use it for air pressure.

Here Is MY math
Assuming that the INNER DIAMETER of the PVC pipe is 4" (...likely not the case, so you'll need to recalculate for your pipe's dimensions):

The volume of the pipe would be calculated as follows:
4" diameter = 2" radius
volume_cylinder = Pi*r^2*L; where r = 2" and L = 12"
the cylinder therefore has a capacity of 150.8 cubic inches.

A gallon of water has the volume of 231 cubic inches.

Your pipe can hold 0.653 gallons of water.

You'll need about 18.38 inch lengths of 4" PVC to hold each gallon of water. Again, these calculations rely on the INNER DIAMETER of the pipe being measured at 4" - if this is an outer diameter measurement, the above calculation for the capacity is OVERstated; the 18.38" calculation is UNDERstated. 0.653x 20'=13.06 but I still may be wrong what is your math
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the the ID is much smaller than 4 inches and it makes a big difference in volume. I hate math,.. my point is it takes more pipe than you might imagine. Still Ok if you have the space and get it cheap, otherwise other options may be better? The end caps and fittings may cost more than a steel tank?

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
dbdraggin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a piece of 3" pvc here and just measured it, the inside diameter is 3".

I imagine the same would hold true for 4" as well.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: I used caps because I had only two ends Reply with quote

If I was to it stack, I was thinking about have 2 flat pieces of plastic or maybe ply wood with a router cut circle to to fit tip of pipe ends in.
they plywood could be coated with something .You could use a manifold 1/2" 90's and T's to stack them for easy storage.I am keeping mine outside of shop wall as PVC doe not rust.
I have got flack from a couple for pipe being expensive etc.
A forum is an exchange of ideas and ideas even bad ideas spark good ideas from them.
A lot of us have stuff laying around that we want to use up.I have PVC pipe and stainless steel sheets on hand.What may cost lots of money to one may be free to some one else.

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.
Mark Twain

Last edited by panhandle_shovelheadrider on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I used caps because I had only two ends Reply with quote

panhandle_shovelheadrider wrote:

Finish what you started and you WILL be SUCCESSFUL....
Thomas Edison tried 24,999 times before making the first working battery, how would you like to have a penny for every battery ever made?????

but at the same time, now that the battery has been perfected i'm better off buying one for $1 at the store than trying 25K times to get it right myself Wink
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: I used caps because I had only two ends Reply with quote

stormtrooperguy wrote:
panhandle_shovelheadrider wrote:

Finish what you started and you WILL be SUCCESSFUL....
Thomas Edison tried 24,999 times before making the first working battery, how would you like to have a penny for every battery ever made?????

but at the same time, now that the battery has been perfected i'm better off buying one for $1 at the store than trying 25K times to get it right myself Wink

I am glad that those that can ,do and not hang out at $1 store with a lantern waiting for things to just apear
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: