www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the Week 01-Feb-06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Tip of the Week 01-Feb-06 Reply with quote

Staying organized.

Not really a 'prop making' tip, but one that I have found helps out a lot in this hobby. Before, I started trying to get my 'act together', I spent 50% of my time trying to find some lost tool, or part. By getting organized, just a little, I spend a lot less time searching for stuff, and more time making things.

An example. You know all those little bitty parts that left over from canibalizing an Airsoft rifle? Well, break the parts down into the most basic bits, and get a stack of those PLANO brand organizer bins. You know the kind that works just as well with fishing tackle as it does, with sewing bobbins? You can find these at Walmart for less than $8 and they are well worth it.

Spend a rainly day getting you stuff off the work bench, or out of the shoe box or coffee can and into the organizer box. I have a stack of them, and each one has a specific purpose. One is for extra resin cast parts, one is for screws, and bolts, one is for decals, and printed items, one is for 'found' parts, and I have one that is full of hobby store finds that make up the greeblies that I use to make the TOS Star Trek props.

If you have paints orgainzed this way, it will be faster and easier to find that perfect shade of Humbrol Bess Brown, or that Testor's Panzer Gray that you need.

Tools, I try to keep the ones I use the most handy, really just sitting in old plastic cups on my work bench. I must have 8 or 10 Xacto Knives, 2 utility knives, a razor saw, and 2 or 3 pairs of sissors. All in one cup. I have my sanding boards in another, popsicle sticks in another, etc.

Larger tools, requires a good tool box, and that can run into money, but getting one is well worth the cost, and the time it takes to set up.

Getting organized really adds to the fun of this hobby. But you have to put your tools back where they belong when you are done using it!

Next week, I'll talk about project priorities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip of the Week 01-Feb-06 Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
...But you have to put your tools back where they belong when you are done using it!

Yup, until I had my own workshop, I just couldn't understand why my Dad would get so angry with me if he couldn't find a tool I forgot to put back.

Now I'm so anal retentive, I get mad at myself if I don't put my toys away!

You can't get the job done if you can't find your tools!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG... I have on outbuilding workshop and I'm the WORST at having to find that tool that winds up NOT being buried under the ton of endcut scraps I keep saving for "just in case", but right there in plain sight! LOL. I have drawers and cabinets galore, and I STILL can't find anything!! I gotta finish up in there with my laser label maker.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: