www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
DV1's New Project...OCP POLICE HELMETS.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: DV1's New Project...OCP POLICE HELMETS. Reply with quote

Here's my new vision for next year's Dragon*Con...OCP Police costume, (for this purpose and forum....HELMET (ROBOCOP Part 1 version).

And the "BIG GUY"....which BTW, I already have the armor ON HAND. First pic just for the fun of the topic, and the other two are of me with the helmet on.

I'll be starting this project soon, with the help of a guy in France who has the ACTUAL SCREEN USED items, to include THIS particular helmet. In fact, he has (recognized and registered) the "ROBOCOP PROPS MUSEUM". I'll be casting the mold out of the REAL helmet to then vacuuform the pieces to assemble the helmet. I'm just waiting for him to contact me as we speak for info in regards of this item.

More info coming soon. Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Nuts! That's going to be cool. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

lobosmedic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thats so cool to know someone with the originals! The best of luck and I can't wait to see this progress.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

You look exactly like Peter Weller wearing the Robocop helmet. Very impressive!

That would be really cool to get one of the grunt helmets. I'll be watching this project with special interest

Now I've got the theme song music stuck in my head - thanks!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie....that was the purpose. Very Happy

Here are pics of the current helmet I have at home (or the actual helmet it was based on, but white)....and another hint: same helmet kind/brand used in TRON. I have two similar variations (one not shown), but the shell IS basically the same.

Now, pics of the REAL SCREEN-USED HELMET for comparison (please, disregard the red lines, I was pointing him (the owner of the real helmet) details that leads to the kind of helmet it was based on.

Like I've said...more to come soon. Oh, BTW, I forgot about it....here's a pic of my ROBO GUN replica with one of the patches (I have two patches ready, though). Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off....HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

WOW, I haven't posted in here for a while. Being really busy with my job and juggling between projects and events, etc. This is the year where I will definitely do my VACUUM-FORMING MACHINE! Very Happy I tell you, that machine will be as busy as a "Street Girl" on a weekend night.....if you know what I'm talking about...! Rolling Eyes Razz So many projects I have in mind for vacuum-forming this year....gee, you have no idea.

Anyway, I've just received the side bars TODAY, where the visor swivels and gets connected to, and I got in transit another helmet (BLACK, as the screen-used ones), this time in size LARGE, that way I could make a mold for a "ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL" helmet.

Posting pics soon.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(NOTE: Topic copied from the (Star Wars) 501st Legion, GEORGIA GARRISON Forums)

IMPORTANT UPDATE/ANNOUNCEMENT

After a long two-day thinking and carefully thought period…. I've discussed this with Martha and some members around here and offline. Lots of thinking and me saying "No, no, NOOOO, I promised this to a lot of people, and...NO!", but I came to the conclusion that our ROBOCOP GROUP for D*C 2010 it will be a NO GO, at least for this year. The GROUP representation is a NO-GO this year, but the project itself is still rolling, no matter what.

The main reason I've decided to change the "SHOWTIME" moment, is due that "SW-WSMI" exhibit and "CELEBRATION V" (C5) are THIS YEAR in our neighborhood, just before Dragon*Con. Some of our costuming community members expressed themselves to me that THEY WON'T BE PRESENT at D*C this year, due that they will be at C5 instead. Based on facts, C5 is something that it's not as an "every-year-thing" as D*C, making THAT a priority to not just me, but to a lot of our members and costuming community as well. Besides, my ROBO suit needs a few things to be fixed before that, and scheduling and the current project will NOT MATCH at all. (Bad Luck)

Not just that, but also our economy have hit us so hard in 2009, that not eveyone could afford to be in this “group thing” or “do that” which BTW is not just the GA Garrison thing, but also in the costuming community as well, ‘cause I’ve posted this interest also in different forums, and we’ve got a lot of people interested up to this point, even when there’s nothing done YET, but in progress. Right now, MYSELF, I’m in the process of completing UNDONE or UNTOUCHED PROJECTS that took my attention away for a while, meaning getting dusty, abandoned, some of them untouched for about (at least) 3-4 years, etc… that I actually want to complete those and not keep “YEARS-LONG” dreams or projects, so when the time comes I don’t have ANYTHING TO DO or WORRY, and have enough time to accomplish PERSONAL things here and there, like REAL LIFE ISSUES; not to count on “LAST-MINUTE” issues that takes your attention away from what you’re doing at the moment.

But keeping in topic….I WILL CONTINUE THIS PROJECT AS SCHEDULED (at least to keep the project alive until NEXT YEAR, and have things available to sell or make for when the time comes), but not as in a rush or anything, because I want to capture every single detail of the SCREEN USED helmet to PERFECTION, so people so far (and soon) interested could have a feel of how the originals could feel and looks like.

Once again, the project is STILL ONGOING and I will be posting progress as well.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the two helmet shells on Monday (sorry I didn't mention anything about it, being busy too). Neutral

Here are the pics of the helmet WITH the sidebars:

Another angle and in CLOSE-UP,

Here are BOTH my helmets, LARGE on left (notice the difference in size). In the background is my STAR WARS COLLECTION, and another of my projects currently ongoing. Wink

...and here, just SILLY ME acting like a dork. Laughing

This project is about to start REALLY SOON...all depends on weather outside, and I will also start with the ARMOR VEST.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of updates, but being really busy in the past couple of months dealing with real-life issues, including completing a SW costume (Snowtrooper) for the last day of Feb. for a small comic book show in my hometown, besides to have it already done since it's the 30th anniversary of Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back, and I want to have it done before Celebration 5.

Now, I will be concentrating in starting this project ASAP, starting with the "EASY" parts to start first. Then it will get complicated; more progress to come by the end of the weekend. Wink

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the weekend, yeah right! Sorry, I've being busy lately

Weather is looking nice lately, and it’s time to get this project running. I already have what I need to start. I’ve being toying the design of the center ear greeblie pieces based on the screen caps I have so far, since the owner of the screen-used helmet doesn’t have them… probably lost before the auction/purchase or something.

Here are the screen caps for reference, and at the end my design made with MS Publisher and a CAD program (www.eMachineShop.com),

Murphy:

Lewis:

Now, a side by side shot, when they’re in the car arriving at the abandoned factory,

And here’s my design based on those pics:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/darthvader1/robocop/Center%20Detail%20pattern%202.bmp[/img]

And here’s the starting process of the sculpting of the ear pieces. I cut a few circles of the same size, and I will sand them according to the graphic, and they will go staggered. Disregard the design on the table, that was the old design.

And here’s the thickest piece, which will be the “semi-circle” and center piece where the “drain” will go in the center,

Man, taking advantage of the weather, but it was tricky today…wind, clowdy, sunny, cold, hot….insane, but finished making the scatch-built, Uber-accurate, center ear piece for the helmet. Here's the progress so far,

What I’m doing is just the same concept about using a drill with some adapters (to hold the rings while trimming with sandpaper) as in MACHINING ALUMINUM, and a dremel tool… but all done MANUALLY and with PLASTIC.

All the circle pieces trimmed, and ready to put together.

The center piece that has an awkward semi-circle shape, cut and sanded (basically 3 layers of .060 HIPS plastic), and glued together.

All the pieces fixed (temporary) with some BONDO spot filling on the edges after the sanding process, just to cover imperfections and really small gaps. They will go through the same process once I glue all the parts together before casting, and making the detail holes.

Well, this was probably the most challenging part I’ve done in any prop or project,.. making the “ridges” from the awkward looking piece and at the bottom, which I had to sand down here and there, and make it fit both top and bottom.

I took the “ridge” ring piece and cut it according to my needs to fit precisely the top and bottom of the piece,

Test fitting of the “ridge” ring pieces,

I’ve made the holes according to the pattern on “piece #2”, and hole indentations in “piece #4”, just before glueing the “ridge” pieces together…

This could probably was my second most challenging step from the whole project, since I’m dealing with the SMALLEST disc piece of the whole ear detail. I’ve took the disc and aligned to the back of the graphic and securely taped it to the paper to prevent sliding,

I flipped the paper around, to expose the front of the graphic, and mark the holes with my hobby knife, by rotating my hobby knife on the graphic paper through the plastic disc.

This was yet ANOTHER piece to work on… making the hole indentations on the smallest disc of the prop. I had to MANUALLY do the holes, like inserting Japanese ACCUPUNCTURE needles (by twisting your fingers to create the effect of a drill, swinging left and right), since I didn’t have the proper sized bit for my DREMEL rotary tool,

After this process, I’ve decided to join and GLUE ALL PARTS together, add some more BONDO putty to conver inperfections, sand, prime, and here’s my end result…

If any questions, please refer to my ROBOCOP pics folder here:

http://ImageEvent.com/darthvader1/robocop

Next, I will be making the sculpt to make the mold to start the MAIN HELMET PARTS. Stay tuned.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: MORE UPDATES Reply with quote

More updates:

Right now, I’ve started the HELMET project. I’ve decided to start making the molds to make the vacuum forming MASTERS, and the resin castings of the ear greeblies. Finalized the mold, and time to cast the ear greeblies,

…and after sanding, priming, and painting… the result is UNBELIEVABLE. These two will be shipped to a friend in FRANCE, who helped me out with pics and measurements when I've started this project; who happen to have the SCREEN-USED "Murphy" helmet; as well as many other SCREEN-USED props from the trilogy. In fact, she have the GLOBALLY REGISTERED, ROBOCOP PROPS MUSEUM. Yeah, I have connections. Wink

Now, to start with the MAIN PARTS of the helmet. This side details are the ones showing on the original helmet as well, so I’m really picky about this particular part. Covered the screw holes with some clay,

…and after cleaning the excess clay from the holes, time to sculpt the vacuuforming master for these particular pieces,

and building the GREAT WALL OF CHINA… no, seriously, making the mold box to pour the silicone rubber to make the mold,

More updates coming up later next week. Wink

Last edited by DarthVader1 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Sounds like a fun project!

Yes it is. Just wait until I get to the VACUUFORMING part (or "BUILDING MY VAC-FORM TABLE" for this matter), still have to get the materials to start it up. This is just "A HINT" of the whole fun.

Like I've had planned, I WILL be making the WHOLE HELMET FROM SCRATCH; which means making vacuum molds of the actual hockey helmet parts, to THEN make more molds of the CUSTOM parts made for the movie helmet, the ear greeblies being one of them.

More updates coming up next. Wink

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a whole year.... some progress so far with my OCP POLICE Helmet. Like I’ve mentioned before, I will do the whole thing like the real helmets were. I’ve started making a mold for the real Cooper Hockey Helmet ear pieces, which will give support on the sides.

Poured the silicone rubber; this is the brushable kind.

Once it dried up, I applied the plaster bandages shell

And the end result, a clean, detailed, ear pieces mold. This will be used to pour “Hydrostone” plaster to make the actual vacuum-forming mold,

Newest casting from that mold to be used for the vacuum forming machine, of course the "snaps" details" will be sanded down and substituted by REAL snaps,

More to come later on as I continue my progress.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Newest update – 01JUN2011 -

I’m going HYPERSPACE with this project as we speak, and I’m not backing up from this point now. This next step is the BIG “cover shell” that covers the vents and the gap in between the two halves of the original hockey helmet, not counting the “side bars”, which are separate pieces. Here’s the helmet on screen:

…and my helmet, the one “unaltered”… see the differences? This means SAND OFF / BONDO FILL-IN a lot of areas, namely in between the gaps and the “MOHAWK” lines,

To make it look like the screen-used helmet, I will have to take the helmet assembled (the main two halves), and make a cast of the whole thing… I had to find scrap wood to the exact height up to where the parting line should be, and create a “bracing system” for the helmet to stay up and not move,

… but first I’ve had to cover all the vent holes and the gap in between the two helmets, highly visible, and create a seal at the bottom with some scrap HIPS plastic at the parting line, where after vacuum-forming should be cut plus some extra gap (about an inch) for error correction,

Silicone rubber cocoon applied (showing after the second coat, it has now 3 ½ coats of silicone as we speak),

… and the plaster bandages shell for strength.

Tomorrow, I will try the light casting (or some would say “rotocasting”, with “HYDROSTONE”. More to come tomorrow to see how it goes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: