www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vacuum bagging carbon fiber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gristenn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Vacuum bagging carbon fiber Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm rather new to the website and was needing some advice. This by far the most info i have found in 1 place for different types of processes and mold making. On to my question:

I'm trying to make car parts out of carbon fiber and have the basics of what needs to be done on forming to mold etc. From what i have read most make a gel coat mold and cover it with a graphite looking epoxy that resembles putty. Is that the only way to make a mold for carbon fiber?Where do i get this putty stuff? The only place i have found it is here
http://www.carbonmods.com/
Its under Epoxy Resin and Gel Coat - Epoxy putty

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Curtis
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon fiber is an offshoot of how fiberglass is made, just the material are different.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gristenn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched all of the carbonmod and Fibreglast videos on youtube. I guess my main question is where do i find this epoxy putty? or is there a better backing to use after laying the tooling gel coat?
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extensive composite tooling background. If you want to build a tool out of epoxy putty, there are many to choose from. They are usually expensive relative to other construction methods and not always suitable for the part being made......

I would suggest any of a number of simple fiberglass how to manuals. Carbon fiber is not rocket science. It is just a simple rag and glue process, it just happens that the fabric is black.

What are you building, maybe we can help you out...

Scott.
Gristenn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting off small with a front emblem holder, spark plug cover, mirror covers. Eventually i want to custom form a set of wide body fenders for my acura and make a custom CF dash for my 1950 Chevy truck. I figured i would start small to test my skills.

What type of pump is the best? I have been looking on ebay for Gast pumps and they have many, some being rotary, vane, and diaphram. How much Hg is recommened for a vacuum bag system? Most i have seen can pull 20"Hg but 1 Gast pump i found can pull 26"hg @.7cfm. Thanks again for all the help.

Curtis
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.joewoodworker.com you can get all the info on vacuume bagging that you need there............Fredo
Gristenn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a Gast series SAA or 2567 be a better pump? I'm looking on Ebay and i can't find a 1065 anywhere.

Thanks,
Curtis
panhandle_shovelheadrider
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: here is a place that may help Reply with quote

http://www.fibreglast.com
they have a learning center link
panhandle_shovelheadrider
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: you may want to put a filter as voc is not good for a pump Reply with quote

my pump is varian 11 cfm
sean_b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regards carbon fibre moulding, i have using it for building kiteboards on a simple curved table. i have been using a monofilm used in windsurfing sails as the bottom layer, ie carbon is layed up on it. the finish is 2nd to none, resin doesnt stick to it, peels off to leave the best finish with zero finishing required. slightly off topic but really useful to know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: