www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Metal Formers??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Lunn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Metal Formers?? Reply with quote

Hiya

I'm completely new to vac forming and i'm in the process of making my first table but i was wondering about the formers.

I make a lot of reproduction armour and i was wondering if the same armour could be used as a mould if closed off properly at the edges, eliminating undercuts. It would be in steel, minimum of 1.2mm, probably 2mm

I'm only thinking of using 2mm or 3mm sheet HIPS, so i guess nothing heavy duty.

Any thoughts??
taurus66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 2 or 3mm HIPS is pretty tough to form , trust me, personal experience , but not a lot of experience...lol I just built my own table, just doing to fine tuning of the heating to get it right.

But i am sure you will find it as much fun as i have so far.
Steve Lunn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been lucky on my small scale tests then lol.

I've had successes with doing small pieces... just 12" x 18" tests making shoulder armour in 2mm/3mm, but i want to up it to being able to do breastplates since it's the biggest thing i'll ever need to do.

i'm fortunate that i have an oven that's controlable to +/- 5 degrees and a vac tank/vac pump as they're used in what i make at the moment so it's probably helped me a lot having the equipment handy in making the first pieces, but i can see it becoming much harder as i scale up to using 24"x36" sheets as they won't fit in the oven lol

It'll certainly make life easier if i can use metal patterns as i can rattle those out quite quickly.

This is kind of what i'm looking to make in HIP... it's the steel stuff i make and why i'm hoping metal patterns will work Very Happy

kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollow backed molds are always bad idea if you have a strong vacuum system. Take 15 lbs and multiply it by the surface area of your metal part. You can see that even a small 10x10 area would generate 1500lbs of crushing force.

You can see a large car fender I made from 3/16 plastic on my website

http://www.build-stuff.com/1002plans_proto-form.htm

I closed all sides with steel and back filled it with rigid expanding foam. It still crushed slightly because the foam compressed a little. Whatever you fill it with has to be fairly substantial.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: