www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
After pull, parts will no unlock from mold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asok

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: After pull, parts will no unlock from mold Reply with quote

Hello All, long time no post! Life has been a little busy.

On a troop a few months ago I broke my Jango knee and new I needed to pull another set. I got a new and better vac table and pulled away. The only problem is that I am getting really good pulls and the parts will not unlock from the mold. There are no undercuts. Here are photos of the mold http://thewarrenfamily.homeip.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11525 Before I did the pull I powered them and had no luck. The plastic is only 0.60. Any ideas?
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things you can do here.

1. Heat the plastic up to release it's grip on the mould then try tapping it out.

2. Leave a border of plastic about 1" all the way around the mould when you trim it from the sheet. Doing this will let you bang the forming against a table and the mould should pop out. Without the border you are just banging the mould and not shocking the plastic to release the mould.

3. Drill a pilot hole under your mould and insert a hook or similar to help you pull the mould out of the plastic.

Which ever you choose to do, I always find a bit of heat from a hot air gun helps because the plastic shrinks as it cools and really grips the mould very tighly. The heat lets the plastic expand and loosens it's grip.

Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas!
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know what the tool is made of, BUT we always pull the parts off warm. It is also helpful to blow the part off the tool with compressed air....
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some baby [talcum] powder will aid in mold release. Put some in an sock, and dust the mold prior to forming. Really helps with molds with hard straight edges.

Also, pulling the molds out while still very warm works great. I never let mine stay in the mold more than a few seconds after it has firmed up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to cut a lot of my pieces off...

This pile of parts shows how the plastic has to be trimmed to get it to release:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: