www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Spam bots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Spam bots Reply with quote

Is there a possibility to erase and stop new registrations of those spam bots that flood the forum in the past few weeks?
like petersen2020
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what has happened, but I have closed registrations of new accounts and they require an Admin to approve. Maybe that will cut down the spam bots a bit until I can determine what is letting them through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of bogus posts are showing up again. Any idea for a fix?
Thanks, DougN
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow there is a guest account exploit that requires a total update to a new version of the PHPBBS. I'm working to get this done maybe as soon as next week. Sorry for the junk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Somehow there is a guest account exploit that requires a total update to a new version of the PHPBBS. I'm working to get this done maybe as soon as next week. Sorry for the junk.

Your work is appreciated! I imagine you do a huge amount of work that we are never even aware of. Thanks for keeping the forum going!!
DougN
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed some posts by what I suspect are spam bot accounts. The content of the post is positive, but doesn't seem to add any meat to the discussion. The post could be put in any thread, and it wouldn't seem out of place. My hackles are raised when I see the "Buy some crap here" in their signature line.

I don't think it's an automated computer program making the posts, but possibly an actual person. Man, I would hate to have that as my job!

Hopefully the PHP update will rid the board of their scourge, and if they still remain, there's always the Ban Hammer!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: the Ban Hammer Speaks Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
... Rid the board of their scourge, and if they still remain, there's always the Ban Hammer!
Charlie

Hmmm.... now in what "voice" should this quote be spoken?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend whacking Jannypan. The two websites linked in the signature have a horrid reputation according to Web of Trust (Mozilla plugin)

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Shocked

Thanks Charlie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: