www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Some general table/Oven questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Some general table/Oven questions Reply with quote

Hey guys...ok ive been browsing this forum for the last couple of days and have found lots of great info! But i cant seem to find an answer to my specific question(s) I will first explain what i want to do.

Im making this table to eventually pull some OT Star Wars armor (TB, FETT, TI, TS, Possibly TK. Im going to start with some smaller stuff though like TD backpack parts n such

Here is what i was thinking and correct me or point me in the right direction here...

Id like to have a 24X24 /working space platen. I have a 6.5HP shop-vac i want to use for this. Id like to pull ABS, but will be good with HIPS for the time being.

Im guessing for this size i cant really use the electric grills as a heat source as they would not be large enough to heat the plastic. However could i use 2? or would that be to uneven heating?

If not i dont mind trying to build an oven but ive never really done much work with electricity and id rather not fry myself lol Also, i dont own my living space/shop area so i cant have a 220 line put into the place.

What would you guys suggest for this setup?

I was thinking an under-over with (for arguments sake) 2 electric grills up top. would this suffice to Pull the armor i mentioned?

Anyway..let me know what you guys think and if my idea(s) sound plausible. thanks guys!
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got intouch with Stormtrooper guy through another forum and got some pointers on this...im going to go ahead and build the vac side of the table and probably stop there. Going to look into pumps and tanks. gonna see if maybe the loacl junkyard has an old water heater tank, or if i can just find one somewhere.

Asumming i get a 50gallon waterheater tank..what size vacuum pump do i need?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vac machine is really only as good as your heater/oven, and if you don't get good even heat, your whole set up is going to give you headaches. Spend the time and effort, and build a decent oven. I have tried all sorts of heaters, but for an oven with a size you are talking about, you need a custom one, OR find a pizza oven thats large enough to get the work done. There are some good folks on the board that can help you if you don't want to go with the nichrome wire [super easy to do, and works great] but if you want ceramic heater elements, or cal rods, thats available too.

I have pulled trooper armor with my machine with good results using HIPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Your vac machine is really only as good as your heater/oven, and if you don't get good even heat, your whole set up is going to give you headaches. Spend the time and effort, and build a decent oven. I have tried all sorts of heaters, but for an oven with a size you are talking about, you need a custom one, OR find a pizza oven thats large enough to get the work done. There are some good folks on the board that can help you if you don't want to go with the nichrome wire [super easy to do, and works great] but if you want ceramic heater elements, or cal rods, thats available too.

I have pulled trooper armor with my machine with good results using HIPS.

thanks for the reply bro! Yea im going to build a custom oven. Ill just do that last. Going to go with the nichrome wire. I just need to get the supplies a little at a time. So i wanna get a vac pump first. Ill keep on the lookout for a tank while i build the oven.

1 question, Can i get proper heat/ power from a standard outlet or a/c outlet? Is there a way to boost the amps without tripping breakers?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to need at least 2 independent circuits, each rated at 20 amps or more. The higher the amp rating the better. I am running a 30amp off my generator.

That means you are looking at circuits in your house that were wired for the higher amperage. Shops, and garages usually have them. But depends on when your house was built.

You really can't just drop a 20 am breaker in the fuse panel and expect it to not burn up the wiring in your house.

If you are running your shop vac on one circuit, and your oven on a second, you should be good to go. IMHO, but if you need clarification on what you have, you really need to consult an electrician, or run your machine off a genny like I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
You are going to need at least 2 independent circuits, each rated at 20 amps or more. The higher the amp rating the better. I am running a 30amp off my generator.

That means you are looking at circuits in your house that were wired for the higher amperage. Shops, and garages usually have them. But depends on when your house was built.

You really can't just drop a 20 am breaker in the fuse panel and expect it to not burn up the wiring in your house.

If you are running your shop vac on one circuit, and your oven on a second, you should be good to go. IMHO, but if you need clarification on what you have, you really need to consult an electrician, or run your machine off a genny like I do.

thanks! Good to know this wouldnt be an epic fail due to low power. I have a couple of electricians in the family so i can have one of em double check, but im pretty sure i have 3 direct 220 lines in the house. The ones meant for Air conditioners. One is in the "shop" and theres one in the adjascent room so i can run a heavy duty extention cord.

Or theres always the generator! Thanks a ton bro! Cant wait to get started!
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjascent room so i can run a heavy duty extention cord.

Hi Lou
I am still a newbie myself, but from my reading you may want to avoid a long extention cord run....as it adds resistance to the "circut".
Perhaps some of the masters, guru's, etc. no more/better.
Best of luck with project....I am in the same boat : )
Mark
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bro!

Yea ive been in private talks with Crashmann, and have determined the lines are direct lines, but still normal 120V lines. Possibly thinking about a generator, but not sure yet as to how "apt friendly" it would be. My apt is upstairs from a store that is closed nights and weekends so noise isnt toooo much of an issue, but we'll see where Crashmann leads me...

good luck with your build as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: