www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mould making tip - add wire for building up edges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaxmyth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mould making tip - add wire for building up edges Reply with quote

Here’s a tip that might help with making moulds. I’ve been struggling with this trooper chest plate for ages and couldn’t get the upper edge of the pecs sharp enough. So I eventually hit on the idea of bending some 3mm aluminium rod to fit, then inserting the ends into holes in the mould. After that it was just a matter of building up the auto putty to the rod using a broad putty knife.

Before – you can see the lack of definition that was bothering me.

After – the wire stands out above the surface by about 4mm.

With the first couple of coats of auto putty applied.

Next step is to build up the remaining coats of putty on the pecs, then fill in the sides and sculpt the bottom of the pec plates so they run smoothly down onto the abdomen.

I’ll hopefully make some more progress over the next few days. Phil
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking better now Phil.

I think the main problem you had was that the chest was too 'flat'.I ran into similar problems when sculpting my armour.It's alot harder that you think to get the shapes right.I'm still tweaking my moulds after 6 years Shocked

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!

I know what Paul means about too flat. I'm still fighting that. Time to resculpt that chest, I guess. There seems to be more of a overall arch to it.

Great tip Phil! Good to hear from you!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the chest has a big curve up to the neck line.I had to add about 1/2" to the 'pecs' and then shave off about the same from the neck line to make it really curve on my early chest mould.

Also,looking side on,the 'pecs' have a curve to it too.Hard to explain really,but the chest plate is very curved all over.

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: