www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hello from south carolina. I'm finally back with my 1st pull
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadgetman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Hello from south carolina. I'm finally back with my 1st pull Reply with quote

I have been reading, and reading ,and reading this forum for a few weeks now. And slowly started building my machine over that time period.
Its going to be an over and under where the oven slides back , the plastic will be in a fixed position and the mold will lift up into the plastic.
24 x 24 table. also acquired a vacuum pump 6cf and a 11 gallon tank
i will also be adding another 11 gallon tank (hopefully 22 gallons will do it)
will keep you posted on progress and put pics up if i can figure out how to do that.

Last edited by gadgetman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from south carolina Reply with quote

gadgetman wrote:
I have been reading, and reading ,and reading this forum for a few weeks now. And slowly started building my machine over that time period.
Its going to be an over and under where the oven slides back , the plastic will be in a fixed position and the mold will lift up into the plastic.
24 x 24 table. also acquired a vacuum pump 6cf and a 11 gallon tank
i will also be adding another 11 gallon tank (hopefully 22 gallons will do it)
will keep you posted on progress and put pics up if i can figure out how to do that.

Hey Gadget, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got some clear ideas of what type of vac former to build. Interesting configuration. Where did the idea come from?
DougN
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the formech 450 on youtube
except i am going to have a foot lever to lift the platten
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetman wrote:
the formech 450 on youtube
except i am going to have a foot lever to lift the platten

Looks like a decent machine to copy! The geometry for the mold gantry should be rather interesting to work out. Keep us posted on how it all comes together.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: plumbing that was done today Reply with quote

here are pics of plumbing i did today
one valve is the dump,the other isolates the tank.
the whole platten is going to move up and down.

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start! Is that a nipple to connect a gauge on the pipe? Some guys don't like the two stage system and I don't often use mine, but when something doesn't go right having the two stage option has saved the entire pull for me! Is the platen MDF? How did you seal it?
DougN
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small nipple is for vac pump the other is for the tank ,working out the spot for a t off the vac line for the gauge.
the platten is mdf it si sealed arounf the edge as of this moment with wood glue.
wasnt sure about sealing top because of things i read on here about plastic sticking to the sealer (shellac?).
there are 4 layers of mdf starting on bottom with 1/4 inch then 1/2 inch glued to it then a 1/4 frame with supports throughout middle then another 1/2 for the top with 400 holes drilled in it .
so any advice on where it may need sealed would be helpful.
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: lots of work done Reply with quote

here is a video of lift , sliding oven etc.
feedback appreciated
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! A very creative design

The best part is the plastic doesn't move through the air, so it won't lose any heat after being warmed up. I'm looking forward to seeing your rig in action!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks nice, looking forward to see how you do as well.
You mentioned that you have 9" of clarence, but aren't planning on doing 9" parts. Keep in mind, that the plastic will droop down when heated. So even if you are doing a 3" tall mold and you have 6" of plastic droop...you are at your max....just something to keep in mind.
But great job!
Mark
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMMark wrote:
That looks nice, looking forward to see how you do as well.
You mentioned that you have 9" of clarence, but aren't planning on doing 9" parts. Keep in mind, that the plastic will droop down when heated. So even if you are doing a 3" tall mold and you have 6" of plastic droop...you are at your max....just something to keep in mind.
But great job!
Mark

from what i have seen on the internet it doesnt look like the plastic sags more than like 3" on a 2x2 machine .
i'm not planning on making things very deep but i would like 6" of use out of it .
Will someone on here that has experience with a 2x2 please let me know what the typical sag is.....thanks
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have mentioned that I don't have experience with 2x2 sag or any size sag for that matter. It was just something I also forgot to consider with my design...so just wanted to point it out. Hopefully someone will chime in with specific knowledge.
Best of luck
Mark
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every plastic is different as to the amount of sag it has when it reaches forming temp. Some sag a lot, some only a little. What type of plastic
do you plan on using? You can always modify and move the oven up a little higher if you need a deeper draw. No matter what we do, most of us first time builders wind up changing our machines to tune them for better performance. I for one did, more than once. Most members are more than willing, even eager to share there machine designs, some are not comfortable at all sharing there designs. Just keep on plugging away and expect that you will get it right in the end.......Fredo

You might want to move this to the Vaccum Forming forum
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: LETS MOVE THIS TO THE VAC FORUM.. Reply with quote

LETS MOVE THIS TO THE VAC FORUM SO MORE FOLKS SEE IT.

THANKS

SCOTT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: