www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hello from south carolina. I'm finally back with my 1st pull
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadgetman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
Every plastic is different as to the amount of sag it has when it reaches forming temp. Some sag a lot, some only a little. What type of plastic
do you plan on using? You can always modify and move the oven up a little higher if you need a deeper draw. No matter what we do, most of us first time builders wind up changing our machines to tune them for better performance. I for one did, more than once. Most members are more than willing, even eager to share there machine designs, some are not comfortable at all sharing there designs. Just keep on plugging away and expect that you will get it right in the end.......Fredo

You might want to move this to the Vaccum Forming forum

I plan on using styrene
the oven slides out of the way so hopefully i wont have to change anything with that.(check out the video i posted). but i only have 9.5 inches that my lifting mechanism goes through.
gadgetman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: heat controller Reply with quote

just was wondering what anybody thinks of this
http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=87
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are bulletproof. I have a set on my air circulating oven
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetman
ditto on what spektr said !!!
But shop around for half that price
i buy mine for 14.00 each (ebay)
gadgetman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: coils and ceramic donuts here Reply with quote

ok so now i have my coil of wire and my ceramic insulators (arrived today).
and I am working on the distance between insulators .
will take pictures and post soon.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at your video again and your metal oven walls seem to me to be flush against the wood with nothing in between to protect the wood. If that's the case, it will, most likely, set its self on fire the first time you let it heat up.... You really need to protect the wood, in some way, from heat transfer.........Fredo
gadgetman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
I was looking at your video again and your metal oven walls seem to me to be flush against the wood with nothing in between to protect the wood. If that's the case, it will, most likely, set its self on fire the first time you let it heat up.... You really need to protect the wood, in some way, from heat transfer.........Fredo

Yes I have been a little concerned about that also. I was hoping that the aluminum walls would reflect most of the heat but I will find out soon enough.
I plan on testing heater off my machine outside first ,if it gets to hot next step will be to put some sort of insulation in between the wood and sheet metal maybe just an air gap to start.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air gap will do wonders to reduce the heat. Building the entire out of metal is even better. Part of my first oven was built from wood and when it was disassembled there were some scorched places! My current oven is all steel & aluminum so far less worries.
gadgetman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: oven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok I finally got to my oven .
It is a 2 segment 220v oven.
not sure if it is getting hot enough yet.
But cutting off some coils and stretching a little more will do it, if it's not ok like it is (time for a trip to plastic supplier).
here are a bunch of pictures and videos, tell me what you think.
The last two images are videos and the last video is the the oven plugged in(so make sure to click on the last two so you can see the videos).javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Very Happy Very Happy
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you took your time to get a good layout on the coils. What gauge nichrome did you use? It's hard to tell in the video but it looks a little cool. The coils on my oven glow a little brighter orange but then it is usually only set at 50% +- capacity too so you may be fine. Are the coils all about the same color in each segment?
DougN
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: oven Reply with quote

I used the 22 gauge wire .
The outside segment is about 1.5 ohms less ressistant than the middle segment that why it is glowing a little brighter.
I wanted the ouside to be a little hotter since that seems where the heating problems were on most of the machine I have seen on here.
If the whole thing doesnt get hot enough I will shorten up the wire a little bit at a time. Keeping my fingers crossed the whole time.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find the wire clips that hold the ceramic donut insulators?? I knew there must some type hanger to mount them, but this is the first time I've seen what was used. I'm building a third vf, pneumatic platen up, 24"x32" sliding oven, 3 controlled heat zones, it's a proto form type oven, with 4- 8"x 24" panels.... I need to add the circuit mounted along the 4 walls that will regulate and increase the heat on the sides of the plastic sheet.. Those wire clips are just the ticket. Very Happy ..........Fredo
gadgetman

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: clips and donuts Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
Where did you find the wire clips that hold the ceramic donut insulators?? I knew there must some type hanger to mount them, but this is the first time I've seen what was used. I'm building a third vf, pneumatic platen up, 24"x32" sliding oven, 3 controlled heat zones, it's a proto form type oven, with 4- 8"x 24" panels.... I need to add the circuit mounted along the 4 walls that will regulate and increase the heat on the sides of the plastic sheet.. Those wire clips are just the ticket. Very Happy ..........Fredo

Here is the link
http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=127
gadgetman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: My First Pull Reply with quote

OK So its been a couple of years but it is finally finished. I lost interest for a couple months then I was in a car wreck which put me out of commission for quite a while but now here is a pic of my very first pull.
let me know what you think. it's .040 styrene plastic. [img][/img]
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you captured some REALLY good detail on those tools! NICE!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: