www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New to Prop making

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason.sgtski

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: New to Prop making Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I am the proud new owner of Crashmans Vac table. Before picking it up, we upgraded the heating element to 5 modular zones. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance. I am still working on adding the 20amp circuit, and trying to source the motor, switch, and storage tank. If anyone has a good source for a single phase, 3/4hp, 1725rpm, motor with capacitor, please let me know.
I was thinking this might be my best bet.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_364407_364407

I was able to talk Crashman into parting with his old pump so I'm hoping it works.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason, welcome to the forum. Do you have a project in mind for your newly acquired vac former? On the electric motor, buying new is safer but more expensive than salvage. For retail new, that price looks about right although Harbor Freight may have something less expensive. I take it the motor is to power the vacuum pump? If you get the chance, let us know what you're up to!
DougN
jason.sgtski

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the motor is to power the pump. The goal is to make armor, basically. Not really to sell, unless I become good at it. The near goal is to make Star Wars and Halo armor. If all goes well, who knows...... I am currently a member of the Old Line Garrison and working on a Mandalorian Merc costume as well as a Halo Reach costume. I think the idea of building from scratch and reproducing my creations to share is more fun than making a one off for myself or being stuck buying every piece of my costumes.
Once the table is up and running, I will also try to dabble in Silicone Mold making. I hope Crashman doesn't block my number when I start calling and asking questions.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, and I'm glad to see you've made it to the forum!

Converting the table into 5 zones of heating elements rather than one concentric spiral should make it easier to maintain. If one panel of Hardibacker develops a crack, you can swap it out, rather than replacing the monolithic slab.

Jason got a Gast 1065 vacuum pump that I purchased from ebay. I was keeping it as a spare in case my production pump failed. It needs a motor, but I'm shocked at the prices we've been seeing. I haven't found any motors on Harbor Freight. We've found some on ebay, but the pricing is still rather steep.

Anyone have suggestions?

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Glad to see you can post now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: