www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Thomas pumps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Thomas pumps? Reply with quote

I have seen mention of these Thomas pumps on this forum and they seem to be pretty affordable on ebay. Is there anything I should know about them before I purchase?

I don't need high cfm but I'd like to get a decent vacuum on my tank. The 2650 seems to be pretty common or the cheap 100. Does being a pond aerator mean anything to us?

What about the 115v?

Thanks in advance.

Also seeing the: 2669, 2619...
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I couldn't wait. I went ahead and bought the Thomas 2669CE37 Vacuum Pump Compressor w/ Capacitor for $38 shipped.

Somebody tell me I didn't buy the wrong type of pump. ??

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding info on it. So far I found a 2669ce44 listed in a thomas catalog. It claims 4.8 cfm, 1/3 hp, 115/60 volts, 27.3 in.hg.

I think the 2669 is defiantly a wob-l right?
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many vacuum pumps will serve as a compressor and vacuum pump, plus keep your fish alive in your pond..... I've used my Thomas 2.5 cfm pump as a compressor to bring my water tank air pressure back up to 45psi. It worked just fine. An unmodified air compressor will not make a very good vacuum pump.... That Thomas should work just fine for you.........Fredo
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good. Thanks for the assurance.

Does anybody know a lot about these pumps? Like I said I can't find a whole lot of info on this model.

What about the wiring?
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like mostly newbies and moderators posting lately. Was I supposed to become interested in vacuum forming in 2007 like everyone else? Wink

Still lots of great info on here and the moderators seem very experienced. Was there some kind of drama that went on or does interest just come in waves or what?
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I check in every day, chime in as appropriate and let things go where they will. Im more into working design issues, tool troubleshooting or more advanced stuff like that. Honestly, when a cool project shows up, people pop out of the woodwork..
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interest kinda comes and goes. Some days there are a lot of goings on and other days, not so much. Really depends on the folks asking and answering questions, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my pump came in and I think it may need rebuilt.

I wired it up and switched the fittings but the vacuum is very weak like I can put my finger over it to prevent suction.

The pump was listed as working condition and has a 30 day return but can someone tell me if I'm just being dumb about this thing? It has 4 ports I plugged the two on the right side because I think they are just duplicates of the other two and as for the other two one sucks the other blows. It does blow pretty good so I still have hope that I'm just making some newb mistake.

Here is a link to the ebay description with pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360369019530&si=YB0m%252FLHWA%252BPMGTJgaqkyn5LGImo%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AOU%3AUS%3A1123#ht_1794wt_1141
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small amount of info about pumps on Proto Form site.
Listing diaphragm pumps as the least desirable. It appears that the one you have purchased is that type? There is also some info on the Thomas site about the different types and the amount of air flow and max vac.
Here is the link for Doug's info;
http://www.build-stuff.com/vacuum_pumps.htm#pump_types
Hope that is helps!
Mark
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMMark wrote:
It appears that the one you have purchased is that type?

What makes you think its a diaphragm pump? My understanding was that it is a WOB-L pump. On the protoform site I think it would be an oiless piston pump.

The version I looked up in the thomas product catalog had a longer stroke but listed it 27.3" HG.

Is there like a pump guru on here that I could PM or maybe someone else with the same pump? I'd like to either send it back or order the rebuild kit or whatever needs to be done.
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like pictures on page 21 of Thoma Pump catalog?
I am sure you know more of what type pump it is...just trying to help.
Not a pump guru.
Good luck
Mark
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobl pumps are considered piston types and work pretty well for vacuum. Its hard to judge vacuum with your finger over a small hole. The smaller the hole, the weaker it feels Its all about surface area.

Chances are your pump is fine, just check it with a vacuum gauge.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK good. I still need to pick up a nipple to connect it to my tank so I guess I was being a little impatient. I figured it would be dangerous to stick your finger over a vacuum pump inlet it's 1/4". After I tested it with a paint stick I noticed it didn't feel very strong and then cautiously put my finger over it. Still I have doubts that its gonna pull the way its supposed to but I will certainly test it with my tank before I come running with questions again.

IMMark sorry my post could sound a little rude. I actually thought you might be right it just was not the info I had found and I wanted to know where you had found the info. It definitely seems to have pistons running inside so I think it is a wob-l.
gadgetman

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

RRK4 wrote:
OK good. I still need to pick up a nipple to connect it to my tank so I guess I was being a little impatient. I figured it would be dangerous to stick your finger over a vacuum pump inlet it's 1/4". After I tested it with a paint stick I noticed it didn't feel very strong and then cautiously put my finger over it. Still I have doubts that its gonna pull the way its supposed to but I will certainly test it with my tank before I come running with questions again.

IMMark sorry my post could sound a little rude. I actually thought you might be right it just was not the info I had found and I wanted to know where you had found the info. It definitely seems to have pistons running inside so I think it is a wob-l.

I agree with kayaker43. My pump seemed extremly week when I put my finger on it (i thought it was broken) ,but when I hooked it up to a tank and a gauge it worked just fine.
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a hose the size of a shop vac and pulled 29 inches, it would be painful. Percieved feel is all about the amount of area the vacuum acts against.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: