www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Getting the plastic from the oven to the platen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Getting the plastic from the oven to the platen. Reply with quote

I was looking around at an image search of vacuum form machines and got to thinking about the part of the machine that gets the plastic carrier from the oven to the platen. It seems like almost everyone on here uses either the side by side hinge system or the over under type with the lever like the protoform.

I saw a topic where Dr. Crash got pretty in depth on some ideas but has anyone on here built one where the platen raises to meet the plastic carrier and the oven gets out of the way? Seems like it could be a simpler design to me and you high production guys could use a roll of plastic.

Like this one.
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent.. The only problem with what you imagine, and in fact illustrated with your photo, is the use of a single sided oven.

In cut sheet machines, the sheet carrier moving into the oven can be heated on both sides. There are a number of very good reasons to do this with thicker sheets of materials requiring a higher thermal load. I can't afford the limitations shown by a single sided oven. I also dont have a platen. My tools are affixed to an air cylinder and move up into the sheet for cutoff. I also have top mounted cylinders to use for different things, like billow forming or plug assist.

In Roll fed machines, the material is almost universally thin enough to use a single sided heat source. I've seen both moving tools and fixed tools used. I dont do this work, its more a commodity job, and we prefer to do other things. I've set them up and run them, but I hate making blister packaging......

Scott.
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I haven't even thought about a double sided oven. What does that system look like?

I was mostly thinking about how, compared to the other home made designs that I've seen, it seems like it would be a bit simpler to make the plastic holder. The whole issue of pulling the carrier down evenly and locking up or down and sealing seems easier when pushing from below. Seems a bit smaller.
gadgetman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the first page of topics there is the one titled "hello from south carolina"
that is the machine I made where the oven moves out of the way and the platten raises up to the plastic. there are pictures and videos
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetman wrote:
on the first page of topics there is the one titled "hello from south carolina"
that is the machine I made where the oven moves out of the way and the platten raises up to the plastic. there are pictures and videos

Oh, cool. Do you still use it? Any problems?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: