www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Who here remembers standing in line...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Who here remembers standing in line... Reply with quote

Who here remembers standing in line when Star Wars first came out, back in 1977? I do! It was at the old Jerry Lewis Theater. It was a two screen cinema, and the line was across the parking lot. We got there early, and darn if the line was not already long. As my mom, dad, sister and I waited in line, the previous showing had just let out, and we watched as the folks filed past. Everyone had this huge grin on their face.

My mom turned to me and said "This is going to be good!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember sleeping during most of it, and waking up when things exploded. I was like 3, movies where times to nap. =P But I DO remember seeing a bootleg copy of Empire on this new thing called a VCR built into a projection TV. The guy next door work for the government, and new someone who got him a copy.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 6 when I first saw Star Wars late into the summer of 77. Saw Empire shortly after it came out, no lines to wait in.

Now Jedi was my first time seeing a movie Premiere. I repeated this experience for TPM, AOTC and ROTS.

More detail later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Waiting in line.. Reply with quote

... We didn't get to see SW when it first came out - BUT..I did get to skip school and wait in line for the world premiere of TESB in 1980. Indianapolis used to have a 70mm premiere theatre at the time, so we would go to all the great pictures instead of having to wait until NY and L.A. got the sneak peek's...
MEPD
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned a funny little fact over the weekend when my brother was visiting. He is 3 years older then me, and it seems my mom and dad didn't think the movie would be appropriate for him to see, so he couldn't go. And when they got back, they said it would have been fine. BUT they never took him to see it. He said all the kids at school would go on and on about the movie for weeks. And he was totally lost. =P
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my dad hated it. Thought those robots were stupid. Sort of the way most fans think of Jar-Jar now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I quess its OUR time to be grumpy old men... I HATE basball caps worn backwards or crooked (as a fashion statement), baggy pants, and I HATE rap music!! LOL... the times they are a changin'.... oh, yeah, I hate Bob Dylan too!

Did I mention I hate kids? LOL (just kidding)
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 11 back in the summer of 1977 so, I remember that day well!

I was living in Santa Fe, NM at the time and saw the teaser posters for a month before the release date. The posters intrigued me a great deal, but I thought it would be another cheesy sci-fi movie, like many before it.

I arrived at the theater on opening day and saw the 12:30 matinee. There was no waiting in line and only about 10 people were in the whole theater itself. Needless to say, I was totally blown away and I wondered why the seats weren't packed to the gills.

Well, when I got back home and started raving about the movie to my brothers, they had to see what all the hub-bub was about. So, my parents decided to take all of us to see it a few days later and there was a line 3 to 4 blocks long! I laughed so hard because my brothers had to wait almost a month until the lines died down... ah, those were the days! Smile
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah,

I almost forgot about the thread topic.... LOL

Yeah the lines were HUGE back then!! I do indeed remember standing in line at the Westgate Theater and the lines were 5' wide and over the horizon, but my dad somehow managed to get tickets ahead of time because I remember kinda scooting ahead of a LOT of people.

They were showing SW in 3-4 different screen rooms consecutively and they were just packed to the gills!! I was 10 or so during all of that. Ohhh the perspective of a kid, huh?

***fixed a STUPID spelling mistake***

Last edited by Stomper on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROYAL RED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am ashamed to say that I didn't stand in any lines. The first time I watched Star Wars was just a few years ago. The only thing that "I got" was that Darth Vader was Luke's dad and that Luke kissed his sister. YUCK! Laughing

Of course, I have since watched all the movies (on a regular basis) and have a much better understanding. Smile
Solo
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only rember standing in line for Empire, I was only 3 when ANH came out.
Master

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasnt able to go to the very first showing in 77, but I reached my goal of going to a midnight showing of ROTS. Man, thats the best movie experience Ive ever had! No standing in line here, I bought my tickets on fandango!

-tubachris
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the new ones, I just took a really long lunch break on the opening day. There was no waiting, and I practically had the whole theater to myself.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ROTS, I started working on a vac-form machine and armor some 2 years prior, and got the 5th suit made the Monday before, and the film crew went in full armor to the midnight premiere. Here's a peek:

Loads of fun, lost of fans, and we got free seats to boot. It was packed, a sell out, but since we were in full armor, the cinema mgmt. 'found' us seats.

We watchd the whole thing in armor, and this shot was taken minutes before the show started.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice suits!
and yes, herb is a LITTLE bit short for a stormtrooper (sorry herb...)
I just remember when i was 10 (or however old i was) that ep II was the greatest movie on the face of the planet according to me and my friends.... good times...

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Star Wars Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: