www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
AN-PVS 5 Ecto-Goggles frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: AN-PVS 5 Ecto-Goggles frame Reply with quote

This is the progress so far of the mold I'm creating to make the ECTO GOGGLES vacuum formed PLASTIC SHELLS. I MIGHT move from plastic to FIBERGLASS, once I make a silicone rubber mold of it, but in the meantile, it will be the MAIN "plug for the vacuum-forming machine I have at home.

A little progress today, thanks to the WEATHER for spoiling my schedule.

Anyway, here are a few pics of what I’ve done today, namely assembly of the “box”, proper setting, and preliminary detailing of the top and front panel edges where the lenses should go. All I have to do is some more sanding, BONDO applying, and more sanding… to then do the last detailing. It might not be to the exact measure accurately, with a difference of a few less millimeters here and there, but it's done in such a way to EXCLUSIVELY FIT the vac-forming process, such as done in a "trapezoid" shape instead of an exact "rectangle"

The complete goggle shell should look like these, which I’ve made the skeleton based on almost same measurements and very same process from Coz_UK on GBFans with his scratch-built AN/PVS-5 based googles.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very coo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my "scratch built" method, while neat, it came out LARGER than the real frame. I received a real frame and decided to make a mold out of it, and do vacuum forming plugs or "tools". So far, they came out AWESOME this last time, after a few setbacks.

Here's some pics to prove. This is my last post of my progress, since I'm doing also faceplates and inside PLATES for the real goggles and also for the vac-formed versions I'm doing:

-MORE UPDATES-

Finally, got to work on the castings of the face and inside plates for the goggles, not to mention another try on the goggle frame… SUCCESS!!!

First, the casting of the face plates and inner plates for the AN/PVS-5 goggles; the inside plates have the hole guides, while the faceplates SHOULD have them, but I’ll leave that to the owners,

Now, I finally figured out the way to take the mold out of the casting without making the slits on the corners… by cutting away the “mouth” area of the casting, that way will allow me to manipulate the castings and remove the molds (with a little muscle power, though) without damaging either one,

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: