www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
One mans solution to trimming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: One mans solution to trimming Reply with quote

Ran across this on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCl1cjCj0Ag&feature=related . You have to watch it a few times, it happens rather fast. I like that he uses compressed air, instead a router. It makes it so simple, no awkward counter weights. Trimming thicker plastics by hand is real pain. It's where the fun ends and the work begins.....................Fredo
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome and very timely, I was looking for trimming ideas....thanks for posting!!!
Mark
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on bit type/size and cutting speeds?
Mark
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the plans for the Copy Carver a few months ago. http://www.copycarver.com/uses.htm .... I've finished the swing box... I'm doing a drawer slide instead of the carriage type machine. If I had the money, and if it wasn't almost finished, I would switch to one of the linear slide duplicators. But, with that type build, price and difficulty go up.... The cost of the build was the determining factor for me.
I'm using a Roto-Zip for the router and a 1/8 rotozip bit. I've tested that bit and it cuts 1/8 abs fast. The bit might heat up with extended use. If that happens, I'll put the parts in the fridge and try cutting them cold. Very Happy Anything to keep from trimming parts by hand..........Fredo
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: use roto-zip drywall bits Reply with quote

Looks like that setup works great for flat cut-outs.

On the router & bits, I use a small frame electric 1/4" trim router with a guide collar. The router collet has a roto-zip adapter to accept a 1/8" diameter roto-zip drywall bit. The bits are cheap, are "down cut" to throw chips away from the router and prevent loading, last a long time, and don't grab like larger diameter router bits. This setup is used to trim 3/16"-1/4" ABS and has not been tested on other materials.
dn
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Fredo and thanks DougN for the response.
I have a bunch of the Rotozip drywall cutters, most likely will give them a go.
Mark
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicating molds in wood is another possible use for the machines. Some woods are said to give reasonable service life. Copying anything directly to a usable mold would eliminate several steps in the mold making process. Wood's not that expensive and ideally suited for short runs and proto-types....you could make a lot of molds in a day.. Drilling vent holes in wood is easy, and I'm all for easy......Fredo
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
Duplicating molds in wood is another possible use for the machines. Some woods are said to give reasonable service life. Copying anything directly to a usable mold would eliminate several steps in the mold making process. Wood's not that expensive and ideally suited for short runs and proto-types....you could make a lot of molds in a day.. Drilling vent holes in wood is easy, and I'm all for easy......Fredo

Just a suggestion, if the mold has multiple layers & directions consider using mahogany. Mahogany is the most dimensionally stable wood that is commonly available. Although a bit more expensive, it won't expand and contract nearly as much as woods like pine.
dn
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best patterning woods have historically been BASS and Jelutong...
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pantograph machine, with a pneumatic dremel. Cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jay-J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good way to precision trim around a vertical edge? For example, lets say you just formed a rectangular box and you want to trim away the flat waste while keeping the trim line nice and flat? Router mounted horizontal maybe?
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand ...but you might be able to build a jig, where the box would set on a square block of wood and run it through a table saw?
Other than that, something along the lines of the Yoytube video at the start of this thread?
Mark
Jay-J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to explain my question a little better. So what I'm trying to figure out is how people (or companies) go about trimming the excess or waste (whatever it's called) away from protruding parts they made. For example, back to the rectangle box. You load a sheet of plastic into your machine, place your rectangle mold on the platen, and then form the part. Now you're done. But you still need to trim away the flat border that is connected to your newly formed rectangle box. Not only do you want the flat excess removed but you also want the transition radius from vertical to horizontal removed as well. So when you flipped the rectangle box over (as to fill it with liquid), you would see a nice flat edge all the way around the top. (I'm using 3/16" thick material)

How would you do that in a very precise way?
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how "precise" you need to be or if you are looking for production (multiple parts and repeatable). The table saw method I mentioned would accomplish that with a rectangle box, if you are working with circles or curves, I would say something along the lines of the video..with a jig and router, dremel, etc.
You could also look into laser cutters, even water jets, depending on part size and machine capacity.
Others may have more options.
Mark
Jay-J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I think I'm going to experiment with a router and design a custom fixture/jig. I will be trimming circles and other shapes too so I need a system that will accommodate those as well. My intention is production so yeah, multiple and repeatable parts. As far as how precise, I would like to be at least with in a 1/16", preferably no more than a 1/32" variance. Not terribly precise but enough that costumers are not complaining and the parts look good and professional.

On a side note, I finished building my 2'x4' protoform so I'll post a thread with some pics on that soon.

Thanks for your input
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: