www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Aspirator Vacuum Pump?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nog3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Aspirator Vacuum Pump? Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever heard of an Aspirator Vacuum Pump being used successfully in a vacuformer build?

According to a few folks who do automotive aircon servicing these are the bees knees and are both faster and stronger than converting refrigerator vacuum pumps et al.

Only reason I'm asking is that over here a vast majority of the vacuum pumps I'm able to lay my hands on over here in AU are cheap unreliable yumcha refrigerator vacuum pumps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN THE STATES, WE CALL THESE VENTURI'S. THEY USE TREMENDOUS VOLUMES OF AIR, AND ARE QUITE NOISY. THEY HAVE BEEN USED, BUT THEY ARE NOT DESIRABLE FOR USE IN MY SHOP. THEY DO PULL HARD VACUUMS EASILY, BUT WE ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH A LARGE VOLUME OF GOOD VACUUM. AUTOMOTIVE A/C PUMPS HAVE A HISTORY OF DOING YEOMANS SERVICE FOR HOBBY GUYS. I USE THEM ON SMALLER 2X2 AND 2X4 MACHINES THAT ARENT PLUMBED INTO MY VANE PUMP SHOP VAC SETUP. TRY SOMETHING LIKE THIS

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like there are a lot of vac pumps listed on Ebay for Australia. Also found this au site real quick with a variety of vac pumps:
http://www.coolvac.com.au/shop/Products+By+Type/Vacuum+Pumps/Refrigeration.html

If you really need cheap, find an old volvo car that had a York 206, 209, or 210 model air conditioner compressor (pump). The York pump has an oil resevoir so it won't burn up when used as either an air compressor or vac pump. You'll have to rig it up to an electric motor but that may be cheaper than buying a regular vacuum pump.

just my .o2,
dn
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venturi pumps are horribly innefficient. It taks a 5 HP air compressor blowing through a venturi to get the same performance as a 3/4 HP electric vacuum pump. A few single stage venturi's are cheap but the good multi stage ones cost hundreds. They really aren't worth messing with in my opinion.

There are also water powered versions that can pull good vacuum from your kitchen faucet. Same story,... very innefficient.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
nog3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

I guess now the trouble part to find will be the air tanks Embarassed

Current plans involve sourcing second hand co2/nitro tanks or chaining a series of 18L tanks designed for 4x4's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nog3 wrote:
Many thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

I guess now the trouble part to find will be the air tanks Embarassed

Current plans involve sourcing second hand co2/nitro tanks or chaining a series of 18L tanks designed for 4x4's.

Any tank rated for use with compressed air will work. Mine is from an old air compressor that blew the motor. You can also use old water tanks such as from a water heater. However, they take a lot more work to clean up since vacuum doesn't like moisture.
dn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: