www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
On Sealing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkxsc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: On Sealing Reply with quote

Hi there, so I got my hands on a bunch of extruded aluminum for free (kickass), and gave a bunch of it to my friend. He's making himself a former with it.

The current state of the thing is this.

Eventually theres gonna be a piece of MDF in the bottom of it, and one on top (drilled) to make the actual forming space.

Now we're planning on trying 2 options to seal the thing inside (since there are a few spots int the aluminum that have been drilled and will suck to try and seal) SO we've got 2 plans for it.
1 Place an extra thick sheet of plastic (or do it a few times with thing like 1/16th sheets) on top of the edges (clamp it) then blast the hell out of it with heat and just let it naturally sag down into the former. Do it a couple times, and then hope that... the pool liner of plastic you made, will hold the vacuum (note this is a shopvac only project).

The next plan is to have a piece of sheet metal formed that fits into the bottom of the table similar to this shape.

And to have the seams on the inside welded up the sides. Then use the sheet metal as the "pool liner."

Of course the sheet metal is probably the better way to go for durability, but will cost a bit more. But with regards to just a shopvac for the suction, would the plastic formed into it be a plausible method?

edit, fixed pic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: