www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Stainless Steel Oven Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Stainless Steel Oven Box Reply with quote

I am making my Vac form table using an overhead oven design. The Oven box is made out of Stainless Steel. I have stripped an oven for parts and will use the heating element and all the electronics from it to control it. The box will be wrapped in the insulation from the oven. And the sides from the stripped oven will be formed around the insulation to cover it.

The oven box is 12 inch deep by 25 1/8 inch by 25 1/8 inch to accomodate the 25 1/16 by 25 1/16 (outer dimensions) plastic frame holder which will move up to the oven and stop at the bottom of the opening.

The plastic frame holder inner edge dimensions are 24 1/16 by 24 1/16 inch to fit over the 24 by 24 aluminum table top with holes spaced 1 inch apart. It is 1/2 by 1/2 inch aluminum angle by 1/8 inch thickness. So that makes the sheets of plastic 24 13/16 by 24 13/16. I have a local plastic supplier that can order any size extrusion so this is not a problem.

The table frame is made from aluminum extrusion. The table top is set at 3 feet and the oven bottom starts at 6 feet.

I have committed to having this made. Frame is already assembled.

I specifically need to figure out how to clamp the inner plastic holder frame to the outer after the plastic is in place. As well as clamping down the overall frame to the table top. Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of the assembled table frame.

Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this elsewhere but will continue it in this thread.

The oven box length by width dimensions will be slightly smaller than the plastic frame holder dimensions. This will accomodate the outer frame to mount hold down toggle clamps to clamp the plastic frame holder together.

Once the frame goes down to the table surface, toggle clamps mounted to the outer table top area will hold down the overall frame.

I will post pics after I get this back from the local fabricator. They have been patiently waiting on me to get them this design.

Other issues are adding a power line for the new vac pump. I have a new shed coming to move all the accumulated "stuff" out of this shed to make room to do anything. Very Happy Other shed will be strictly for storage.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

I went with the bent screw as the hold down device, but those vertical toggle clamps will do just fine, and it appears you can get them for $10 a pop online.

Jim

Also, have you seen the "proto-form" vacuum form machine? If not, here is a pic:

http://www.build-stuff.com/1002plans.htm
They want to sell you the plans, but you might glean some good info from those pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim.

I have seen that site before but did not get anywhere with it due to the fact that they are just seeking money. With all the basics you have here on this site, I believe we have all of the bases covered.

The one nice thing about the table frame, is I will be able to expand it in the future.

Of course, that will mean a new top and chamber and a new oven box.
propsculptor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's looks Great!

I look forward to progress photos Very Happy
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it is still a work in progress. I will update this thread later. Taking my daughter out to dinner for her birthday! Very Happy
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the construction of the frame. Looks very nice, have anymore photos of the setup?
propsculptor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new Progress on the Vacuum-former?
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved in the other 8020 parts I needed for the frame and the epoxy lined vacuum tank. Also the E2M28 Edwards vac pump. Have not had a chance to sit down and detail the design for the plastic holder frame which will also relate to the size of the stainless stell oven box.

I hope to get a chance by next week.
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you went with the extruded aluminum members. If you need any sort of hardware for connections and such check out the various woodworking sites. Here is one link. Rockler Woodworking T-track is very common with woodworkers and they have a lot of various hold downs and clamps to use with it.

Where are you getting your track from and what's the cost of it looking like?

I own the Build-It plans that the above link goes to. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Smile
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that page is rife with possibilities! Now I need to decide which ones to try... The quick release 5 star knobs, wingnuts, OR cam clamps... Heck, I might just buy all of them to see which ones work the best!

Thanks Indigogyre!

Charlie
TI-386

Last edited by crashmann on Fri May 05, 2006 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigogyre wrote:
I noticed you went with the extruded aluminum members. If you need any sort of hardware for connections and such check out the various woodworking sites. Here is one link. Rockler Woodworking T-track is very common with woodworkers and they have a lot of various hold downs and clamps to use with it.

Where are you getting your track from and what's the cost of it looking like?

I own the Build-It plans that the above link goes to. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Smile

Ok, some of the things on your site I have been looking at on Mcmaster. However, these look nicer.

My current problem is I need to fit the hold downs in a tight space for the
plastic frame. I have this posted elsewhere what I am attempting to do.

I will ponder this some more next week and along with the parts you are offering I may come up with a solution.

If you have other "smaller" hold downs let me know.

The aluminum extrusion is www.8020.net Price Very Happy Very expensive!
propsculptor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link on their website, it's their "Garage Sale":
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale

Builders may be lucky enough to find what they need there.

Mattax wrote:

The aluminum extrusion is www.8020.net Price Very Happy Very expensive!

Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsculptor wrote:
I found this link on their website, it's their "Garage Sale":
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale

Builders may be lucky enough to find what they need there.

Yeah, I made my initial purchase through a place in NC for the 8020. Then I made a couple of EBAY purchases from the store above. The used parts are just as good but you get what you get. Cutting aluminum is a PITA and will not be annodized.

If you order from 8020 (not the garage sale), everything you order will be cut to specified length and annodized.

The fasteners and mounting hardware are what I purchase from the garage sale. Much much cheaper.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finalised my thoughts on the plastic holder frame and will be using push down toggles to hold the top frame to the bottom frame. I just need to finalise the drawing for the local fabricator. I may take him the parts I have for hands on reference and proper fitting. Will make it easier.

My second shed is nearing completion and I will finally have the space to put the vac tank next to the table frame. Very Happy

Time is a killer so I better get to work. Trenches do not dig themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: