www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Stainless Steel Oven Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Frame Reply with quote

Love the frame.

Do you have any drawings and dimmension of your frame? I have been looking to do the same method as far as a overhead design. I am curious as to your progress.

I have large size people wanting armor so I am going to attempt to make a slightly larger size Vaccum form machine which is one reason I am looking at the overhead design.

Any information on you frame would be helpful.

Chris
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is basically a 24 x 24 table top and everything goes around that.

I used the 1515 as a starting point when making the design. Go to www.8020.net and you can start from there. 1515 is much stronger than the 1010 and I do not recommend 1010 for strength applications. My set up will weigh over 300 pounds when completed.

The material is not cheap. You can probably get some of it cheaper in the EBAY garage sale but chances are the ends will not be anodized.

When I get my new computer up and running I will see what I can do about getting you specific dimensions.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Still waiting for the local fabricators to make the oven box and frame holder. They are continually backlogged with work and my stuff is being pushed back. Was told on Monday that they would start it in two weeks. Crossing fingers as I was told that same line every two weeks that I call them.

Question on oven, will an oven element in the 24x24x12 stainless steel box be sufficient to heat ABS? If not, I need to start obtaining niachrome parts.

New computer is coming along, but will still take time to set up. You can view what I am putting together here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60643

Go easy on me, been five years since I put together a computer from scratch. I am a little rusty.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on oven, will an oven element in the 24x24x12 stainless steel box be sufficient to heat ABS? If not, I need to start obtaining niachrome parts.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the size and shape of the oven heating element. Remember, you want to concentrate most of your heat around the perimeter of the oven, then less heat in the middle. I think nichrome wire is the only way to achieve this requirement since it allows flexibility in the layout.

But there is that crazy guy in Great Britain that used portable heater elements... Smile

Good luck!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Charlie, where do I get all the parts for the wiring and stand offs?

I wonder if it will be possible to wire this into 220 and still retain the oven controls.

Where is your link on oven wiring?

Thanks.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resource for niachrome wiring and stand offs?

I am going with 220 volts single run for best results.

What link has the best write up on construction?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get the nichrome wire and the cermanic stand offs at:

www.infraredheaters.com

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mattax,

The link for the oven calculator is:
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=272

Just plug in the details of your table, and off you go! It will also calculate for 220 volts.

Now if you're looking for details on how to construct the oven, just go to Jim's Vactable 4 page, almost halfway down:
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=272

At the bottom of the page you will find links for the nichrome wire and ceramic heating posts from InfraRed Heaters.com. If you want to go with the ceramic donuts (instead of the "hats" on Jim's table) just be sure to ask the salesman about them when you call. He'll be able to pick the right part for you.

My ridiculous huge write up is in this thread:
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=193&highlight=#193
(mann, that's a pretty layout of the nichrome coils Smile)

If you are planning on using regular home oven temperature controls for your rig, they should work fine, since those also run at 220v The main thing to check is the power rating.
Volts (220 in your case) x Amps (to be determined by the amount of nichrome wire you use) = Watts

Compare your calculated number with the ratings on the oven controls. The oven control should be rated for more watts than your oven will use.

Good luck!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
propsculptor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattax,
Any new progress on your Machine?

I'm very interested in seeing how it turns out!!
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry have been really busy with setting up my new computer. I will need this for AUTOCAD.

I was trying to get the frame pull down system and all support parts ordered from 8020 before the top of the year with a 2 and 1/2 month lead time for them to help design the exact parts and they dropped the ball - royaly! So, now am playing catch up.

I should resume work next month. In the meantime I still need to order the oven wiring and standoffs. I still have not heard a comprehensive manner both electrically and physically in which to wire the 24 by 24 oven for 220 volts. Any takers?
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking over the oven calculator and am having issues trying to figure out the best layout for the 24 x 24. Should I go with the default 6.5 inches of layers?

Also, I plugged in 220volts, 3 segments and it shows
Quote:
Taking 60.5 coiled inches needed, and stretch it to 348 inches to route it around the board.

I will be ordering the wire and standoffs as soon as I can figure out what I should do. 220 volts vs 110, 3 segments vs 4 segments. 6.5 inches spacing vs what spacing is needed?

Also, I need to figure out how to go about mounting the standoffs to the stainless steel oven box ceiling. For the amount of standoffs needed, I will need another "mount" in order to not drill but 4-8 holes in the box ceiling. Someone had suggested a wire grid. Where might I find something like this?

Any other suggestions? I want to be able to use the stainless steel reflective surface at the same time not put a hundred holes into it.

Someone else on the boards said they were going back to using a standarad oven heating element. Would that be bad for heating up ABS or Polycarbonate? Uneven heating?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool fabrication material you are using! Seems a but expensive, but neat! I can see all sorts of other applications for this sutff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
I can see all sorts of other applications for this sutff!

The Stainless Steel?

Any help on my last post?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking about the aluminum frame material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: