www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Stainless Steel Oven Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mattax

beautiful build, wish i had the time and patiences to do that quality work.

i am a jonney come lately so if this was covered already
please disregard.....

Are you buying custom sized plastic?
24"x24" platen to big ...wasting plastic.

out side of carrier frame needs to be 24" x24"
if you will be cutting up 4x8 sheets
follow.

also the steel platen will never require any silacone
so skip the stuff its a constant nightmare.
once i went to alum platten i have never had a leak!

attach your tooling to 3/4" mdf 1-1 1/2" smaller than your platten.
On the bottom side of the mdf place round head sheet metal screws
this will raise your tooling above the platen for vacuum flow.
hope this helps
Dale.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale.

Thank you for the comments!

I will be buying custom sized plastic to fit within the plastic holding frame which should be something along 27x27 inches.

At least that is what the business, 45 minutes north of me said 6 years ago, that they could do it as it was a matter of ordering by weight and they would cut to whatever size I needed. I'll have to contact them again when I get closer to finishing the table.

The top plate of the platen is aluminum. The bottom half is steel. And the half's are not yet mated. There is 1/4 inch key-stock welded to the bottom half to create the chamber along with some standoffs in the mid section to prevent collapsing of the chamber. So I will have to seal the upper to the lower half and was going to do this with silicone.

I didn't want to permanently attach the top to the bottom in case I need to get in there to clean it out.

If there is another method other than silicone to secure the top to bottom, let me know.

The only thing I can think of doing is to make a lip welded under the upper aluminum plate that will fit down over the lower plate and put some sort of seal in between. Maybe a rubber gasket? But this means I will have to recreate the lower chamber, also, along with making a new oven box, as the 1/4 inch key-stock is 1/4 inch in from the edge of the lower plate chamber. It would need to be at least another 1/4 inch in in order to put a rubber gasket in there.

I may be able to get away with moving the upper 1/4 key stock in to 3/4inch in from edge and not block the holes on the outer perimeter if placed correctly. The top holes start at 1 inch in from the edge. So the 1/4 inch key-stock would have to be moved in slightly. This might work well by sandwiching the gasket in there to create the seal from upper to lower platen and seal the chamber.

I wonder if there is a 1/4 inch diameter rubber gasket that i can place in there. I could make my own length simply by heating the ends together with a heating gun that has the spade attachment.

By tooling, do you mean what the molds will sit on, on the platen? If so, yes, I agree with you for better vacuum flow.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened up the walls and installed the electrical wires and outlets and tied it into the panel box. Put it all back together and reinstalled the wall with 4 new outlets - oven, vac pump and two control power circuits. You can see them in the 3rd picture below as the 3 outlets at the 24 inch mark up the wall from the floor.

(Diabolical plan to install more power!)

Install some more airline and made a drop with the regulator and dryer for the rodless air cylinders.

Also checked on the plastic frame pieces to determine its size in order to determine the new stainless steel oven box dimensions. What I found and can remember from ordering it is the top frame is slightly smaller than the bottom frame in order to accommodate the hinges.

Will need to make a box that is O.D. 27-15/16 x 27-15/16 x 12 inches with 1 inch angle iron welded around the outside perimeter at the top and bottom. It will look identical to the oven box in the picture below except the first two dimensions will be larger and the angle iron on the outside will be 1 inch instead of 1-1/2inches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: