www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Wiring 220v 3 phase to my 220v single Protoform 2x4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wiring 220v 3 phase to my 220v single Protoform 2x4 Reply with quote

Like the header says. I have a 100amp 220v 3 phase breaker that I used for 1 30hp screw compressor. I want to use this for my Protoform 2x4. I realize there's 3 legs and a ground.Everywhere I've read they say just use 2 legs for 110 each leg and the ground and I will be good. Do they make a 3 pole 50amp plug and is this ok to do?Sorry no pictures this has been a 3 different State drawn out affair that's on the down home leg. And the plans are great but is there some wiring diagrams for wiring the machine with colors of wire associated with the wiring diagrams I have? Maybe someone that built one could post some closeups of there wiring. Thank You And Merry Christmas everyone. Steve
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great to hear that your build is getting close to an end. What types of projects do you plan on doing?

Wiring questions are always tough to answer since the combined voltage and amperage can do serious (or permanent) bodily harm if it's not done right. If it were me, I'd find a local electrician familiar with 3 phase. That way you know that wires aren't crossed and the wiring is safe. But this is just my opinion.
DougN
Thumper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: I build led lights Reply with quote

I make lights for the business i"m in. Wanted more freedom in what I design over having one certain mold made.Problem with my one electrician "small town"is he will get power to the breaker box,But will not wire to the machine.there your on your own.Looking at some of the pictures of other builds it looks like they have the 2 110v circuits,then a bus bar ground and a machine frame ground. Funny one of the 3 states the machine was built in was Kentucky. I worked in Cynthiana Kentucky this summer. The metal frame was built there.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have a hard time getting an electrician to look at a custom built electrical device. There's an electrician with my exact name, and I called him for advice on wiring up my 240 volt oven. I figured since we shared the same name, he would be a little more helpful. Nope! To quote the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, he wouldn't touch my rig with a 39 and a half foot pole Smile

The electrician is afraid of liability. If they look at your machine, give you advice, then an accident occurs, they could be on the hook for a lawsuit. Even if you promise not to sue, and sign a paper, they're still not going to help a stranger.

Fortunately, through my network of friends, I found an electrical engineer who designs huge power distribution systems for server rooms. I was concerned because I didn't think there was a ground wire in my NEMA 10-30 240 volt outlet. My electrical engineering friend explained there are two hot wires at 120 volts each, and a neutral wire (the L shaped hole) which can be used as the ground point. I connected one hot to one side of the nichrome coil, then the other hot to the opposite end of the coil. Everything metal in the oven had a connection to ground. After lots of continuity checking with a voltmeter, we determined no wires were crossed. My friend put on his protective clothing and flipped the switch. No sparks or fire, and the coils created a nice glow Smile

My outlet probably doesn't match your setup, but you're definitely going to want a qualified person to check out your setup before plugging in the oven.

Good luck!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a scan of the internet on articles that may pertain to your application. The thing for me is that I have limited electrical knowledge and no experience with 3-phase. I do know that the color of the wires is often aribitray since there is no standard so you'll probably need to use a electrical multi-meter to deteremine which wires are hot, neutral, and grounded. Sorry I can't be more help.
DougN

http://www.dannychesnut.com/Electronics/Wiring/220/220BreakerWiring.htm

http://www.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB_BaseT/diylib_article.html?session.docid=1168

http://www.ask-the-electrician.com/electrical-outlets.html

http://www.wireityourself.com/ohms_law.html
This is on Ohms Law which may not be something you actually need.

http://www.wireityourself.com/220_volt.html
Thumper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the protoform has gone too a kinder gentler place far away "60 miles". Found a electrician too take it on. Got up this morning with intentions of going for it. Took one look at breaker box and couldn't even figure out how to put the breakers in lol. Keep hearing the Robot from "lost in Space","RUN WILL ROBINSON". Thanks for the replies and advise,Ya have to know when to say your lost.
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thumper

well what is the voltage you are working with first of all
or

now...the neutral/white wire is not used for 230 single phase or 3 phase.
2-3 hot wires and ground to the machine frame.
heating coils are wired between the hot leads only.

I have a delta 230 volt 3 phase shop and it does make things
a bit harder having 160-180 volts on the center live wire.
but it still can be done.

yes they do make the 3 phase receptacle and plug...0000.00
but for the money you will spend better off doing a hard wire
with disconnect switch

are you just wanting to wire the machine 110? 230? or 3 phase?
Thumper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Picking machine up tomorrow Reply with quote

Well the beast is coming home tomorrow. I'm Thinking I better have a electrician wire the plug in for me. Can't wait to see it. I still have to plumb the vacuum but shouldn't take long.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking machine up tomorrow Reply with quote

Thumper wrote:
Well the beast is coming home tomorrow. I'm Thinking I better have a electrician wire the plug in for me. Can't wait to see it. I still have to plumb the vacuum but shouldn't take long.

Glad this is coming together for you! Keep posting on how it all work out. Looking forward to seeing some picts of your vac forming projects!
dn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: