www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Want to build a desk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Want to build a desk Reply with quote

Ok, so my current desk is annoying me slightly but the last few times I've looked I haven't seen anything I like.

I don't think I want anything too complicated, like those desks that have second levels for office supplies and cabinets and such, though that may be necessary at some point....

What I want is something that has space for up to two, 24" monitors, although IF I do get a dual monitor setup I'll probably go with 21" or 22", I just don't think I need a total of 48'.

Also I'm thinking I would like a section that would hang off and support three 'tables' (not sure what their called) for a printer and such.

The other two machines would be a small 3D printer Cartesian robot and a small CNC router (4x4 or something).

However, I have zero experience with woodworking (as I've stated before I think).

I don't want to get a whole degree and career in woodworking, just enough.

Or does building a desk require I know everything?

Going to model it in 3D sometime so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sometime....Laughing

Thanks

LC
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. Sounds interesting. My studio has some custom made oak tables, but it's really more of a large work surface than a computer desk table. Nothing fancy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
hmmm. Sounds interesting. My studio has some custom made oak tables, but it's really more of a large work surface than a computer desk table. Nothing fancy.

That's exactly what I want, nothing fancy!

Just something nice and flat, so that my monitor isn't raised and I'm not tempted to slouch. Laughing
kruzer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Cool desk the easy way Reply with quote

I may be late with this reply but I built many desks the easy way.

If you want a straight desk and a very heavy duty one, do this:
-Get a door blank, (choose width) preferably SOLID core. Pick the size you want and take it home. Finish the top surface and get two file cabinets for base.
The door blank is VERY HEAVY and may need help moving it.
Don't use cheap empty door core. It will sag and even crack under the weight of your equipment.

If you want a nice corner desk do this:
-Get two door blanks, make sure it's the same wood grain or looks close to one another. Cut 45 degree on both door blanks and join it together.
Here's the tricky part. You must have a center (45 angle cut) support or the whole thing will collapse. The end supports have to be sturdy as well, but you can use steel file cabinets if you wish.

I have two 22" monitors on the long desk part and another 22" monitor on the short return part. You can make it equal lenght, but it looks kinda HUGE that way and best to make the side part much shorter.

The door core I use is 36" or 32" wide. You can imagine the space I have on this desk Smile

How to finish the top:
Use Minmax glossy clear resin and give it a few coats. The wood under it will look fantastic and you have a hard surface. As for the sides of the desk I used mouldings and nail it on.

Hope that helps if you want build a cool desk over the weekend.
The only thing required is a circular saw.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should build one of these!! You can put your computer guts in the cockpit.

PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tie-Fighter table is friggen' awesome looking. That was a really cool idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: