www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Newcomer with a project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Action Burt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Newcomer with a project. Reply with quote

Hi there.

I'm a total newcomer to vacuum forming and I'm looking for some advice for a project I'm working on.

I've been using a little machine bought from China for making personalised soft toy gifts. You basically print a photo of the customer's face on special plastic paper then the machine vacuum forms the picture into a little 3D face which goes into a special soft toy.

It's a cool and slightly creepy looking gift. Laughing

I've been trying to find out more about the special paper I use. I've been buying it from China and its quite expensive so I was hoping to find out what the paper is actually called and maybe buy it a little closer to home.

The main thing I'm working on at the moment is trying to make a full size version of the little machine and make life size 3D masks.
Just spent a fortune on larger size paper from China.

I did attempt making a machine out of a plastic storage container but I managed to blow a hole through it!

That's when I decided to find a forum of experts Wink

Look forward to getting any advice for my second attempt and I promise to post pictures of my progress good and bad along the way Very Happy

I also collect and restore vintage GI Joe and Action Man figures (Noticed there was a GI Joe section).
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Burt
Welcome to the group!
Can't really add anything specific on your project, perhaps others know more about it?
Sounds like a thin HIPS or perhaps PETG?
Just a total guess, maybe if you have any links to what you purchased we could take a look.
Mark
Action Burt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMMark wrote:
Hi Burt
Welcome to the group!
Can't really add anything specific on your project, perhaps others know more about it?
Sounds like a thin HIPS or perhaps PETG?
Just a total guess, maybe if you have any links to what you purchased we could take a look.
Mark

Thanks Mark, here's a link...

http://i02.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/317/277/260/1280557076287_hz-myalibaba-web9_5582.jpg

It would be good to find out exactly what the paper is and I also want to make a larger version to make full size masks/faces

These are the results I got with the standard smaller moulds...

Like I mentioned previously, I've already purchased the special film (A4 size) and I attempted to make a vacuum former...which didn't really work out to well Very Happy

So I've been having a good look around the forum looking for ideas for my next attempt.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little former looks a lot like a real cheap dental vacuum former. here's some pics of some not so cheap formers..... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dental+vacuum+forming+machine&qpvt=dental+vacuum+forming+machine&FORM=IGRE A 10"x10" along those lines would would do a face mask. If it's printed on plastic, just about any [good] small vacuum former would work.
Do you print the pictures on the computer, in a dark room, if it's on a printer, the first thing I would do is find some thin plastic and run it through a printer and see what happens.... If its printed, it's the ink that needs to take the heat.... Tell us about the mold or molds you'll use, how do you decide on the face shape of the mold for different pictures. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out..............Fredo
PS
Start a thread on the vacuum forming forum, we go on long enough here we'll get kicked off this one.
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
I really meant a link to the "paper" you use.
Also, Fredo is correct...should move this to the vacuum form forum.
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: