www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
It's Official!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmike
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: It's Official! Reply with quote

I have a fully functioning vacuum former!

All I had was some .060 HIPS and the little skillet would only heat it up to 289 degrees, but it worked enough to make this mold and I cast the 4x4 plaster tile last night. Now I have to work on the oven so it will heat edge to edge. Thanks to all for the help!

Mike
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the tank and the pump or did you try with the pump only? What size is the pump? You'll need a filter to protect the pump. I used a 3/8" in line fuel filter, 3.98 at Auto Zone.
Try some of your thrift stores, the SA and yard sales, for a new heat source. Be aware that the gas from burned Teflon is really bad. If you use it, use it outside... FYI a Teflon skillet burned on a kitchen stove, will kill every pet bird in that house.

I've seen large square alum skillets and elect. grills that have 500*f on their controls.. I used a small elect. barbecue for the heat source on my 12"x12". , 1200watts, 8.33 watts sq.in. at 6in distance. It needed some heat shielding to even out the heat. That and turning the plastic made pulling 1/8 in. abs easy with the pump alone.
You can get by with less watts than I used, but it's better to be able to dial the heat down to what you need... You can use just about anything that will evenly heat the plastic... The distance is important, to far to cold, to close, it gets to hot to soon. So many things work, a few things work best and fast. You've got a lot to choose from, now that you've got your feet wet.........Fredo
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mike!
Looks good...let the new hobby begin : )
Mark
captmike
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the .030 styrene today and ran another test. First I pulled a frog on a lily pad (lilypad about 8 in diameter) and got a great pull. Next I pulled four 4 x 4 tiles space about the 12 x 12 working surface and Fredo was right. I am having problems with the edges heating up enough. Most of the area heats up great but the edges are not defined. I guess I will replace the skillet with heating elements so I guess I should start my education on than right now. I know I will need help, so stay tuned. If anyone wants to chime in, my oven area is 12 x 12 and about 6 inches deep, lined with concrete board.

Thanks, Mike
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a heat gun you could heat the edges with that. Maybe even a hair dryer on high would be enough of a boost to heat the thin plastic.? You may also find it will help to heat the platen with a hair dryer so it doesn't chill the plastic on contact.

I don't know if anyone has warned you, but we might as well get this in the open right now,.... sucking plastic into the shape you want can be.... well it can be addicting.. there I said it.....Fredo
captmike
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fredo. I tried a heat gun on the edges, but it did not help much; maybe I am too impatient. I already know about the addiction! I lay awake a good deal last night and thought about how to improve my oven. I have an idea based on what you all do, but first I need to get up a supply list, such as gauge of coiled wire, length and whatever controllers & insulators I might need.
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember there are 3 ways to controll heat, time, distance and shading. If the center of the sheet heats too much, you can add a shading element.... A couple pieces of welding rod holding a piece of tin/roof flashing over the heater blocks the center from heating as fast......

Scott.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: It's Official! Reply with quote

captmike wrote:
I have a fully functioning vacuum former!

All I had was some .060 HIPS and the little skillet would only heat it up to 289 degrees, but it worked enough to make this mold and I cast the 4x4 plaster tile last night. Now I have to work on the oven so it will heat edge to edge. Thanks to all for the help!

Mike

Congrats! Looks like some pretty decent detail you've got there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: