www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
motorcycle project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burton

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: motorcycle project Reply with quote

Figured I would start a post so I can put pictures and updates in a central location outside my intro.

Attempting to vacuum form a clear headlight lens for my first project and eventually I will span into doing costume props etc. The dont make one for my bike, and I have customized my bike so much some people call it the FrankenNinja lol

I have a air ventri vacuum and an 11 gal reserve tank as a vacuum source running 3/8 ID tubing throughout.

At first I wanted to use resin to make a female mold but figured I would try it with plaster just to get my feet wet. So I have two plaster female cast molds with a piece of tubing in each and 3 small 1/16 holes near the center bottom of the mold.

Right now these are still curing, even though the proportions were right they still feel damp to me so I will probably let them sit a week to dry out (unless I find out I can place them in the oven at say 170 for a couple of hours safely)

I am going to be using acrylic as my test piece and lexan as my final piece. I have not dryed the lexan out yet as I only just finished the mold yesterday and almost completed the frame. I think this is the .093 thickness you can find at a hardware store, if all goes well I will try to pull a thicker piece in time given the function of the lens.

Not sure yet if the non-slip tape should be on both sides of the frame or not so right now there it is only on one side. I have yet to drill holes in the frame to keep it together. There is 1/2" around the female molds edge to serve as my buffer space then another 1/2"+ for the seal. I am going to use double rubber window seal 1/2 tubing (or whatever it is) to form the seal but I might just place this on the frame instead of the plaster mold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: