www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
A vacuum forming machine 'Blue Peter' would be proud of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumpendoodle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: A vacuum forming machine 'Blue Peter' would be proud of. Reply with quote

Hi
Just thought I'd let me know how valuable this site has been to me. I wanted to make some holsters to fit the Garrett pro pointer used by metal detectorists. Not having the space or, at the moment, the experience to build a full blown vacuum former, I sat down and had a think.

I had some aluminium framing from an old fold up picnic table, so built the frame as per overhead oven design. I built a wooden box to hold the innards from a George Forman grill. I incorporated the timer from the grill, and the original on/off switch. The holder for the plastic takes an A4 size piece of plastic, and, again, is a miniature version of the overhead oven design.

I pop the house vacuum onto a fitting on the side of another wooden box, which has been patiently drilled with countless holes to form the base.

All in all, a bit rough, but it produces two Good quality pro pointer moulds out of one A4 sheet of 1mm plastic, and I've pulled a few good molds out of 3mm plastic. Not easy, but can be done.

I have now set up an online shop to sell the resulting holsters (hope it's ok to mention it here, if not feel free to delete on my behalf, www.scottishdetectorist.co.uk).

I really couldn't have done it without the wealth of experience on this board. It may not be very active, but what's here is worth it's weight in gold.

Many thanks again, will try to get some photos of my little monster, and the remarkably good quality results.
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice product...and love the story of the picnic table Very Happy
Looking forward to pictures when you get a chance.
Best
Mark
Lumpendoodle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a bit busy to reply, sorry. Also have to work out how to upload pictures (not really a techie), once I do, I'll get some pictures of the baby vacuum former, and the holsters.

Take it I should uploead to flkr or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: