www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sterling "SMG" SBR project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Sterling "SMG" SBR project Reply with quote

A few years back I bought a demilled Sterling SMG that I planned on making into an E-11 blaster prop. Consequently as most of my projects go, it has sat out in my workshop (in the gunsafe the entire time).... LOL.

I was messing around looking things up on Google a couple weeks ago, and discovered that you can still buy Sterling SMG parts and what not.

I got to looking at the specimen in my workshop and discovered that the entire receiver is completely intact, but the bolt is gone, the barrel is spiked and welded, and the trigger pack is all welded making it a paper weight... this gave me the idea to restore it, but into a semi-auto, closed bolt (original full-auto is open bolt) "short-barreled rifle".!

I can get a new reproduction 9" barrel, semi-auto trigger pack, and semi-auto bolt for a reasonable price!! I also found out that the "krinkle" finish on the Sterling was for "export" specimens, and that the British Milspec was a smooth flat black finish, so I plan to Ceracoat mine when I get to that point.

I now have to silver solder a "denial island" inside the chamber area that will only allow a semi-auto bolt to be dropped in, so I have to get dimensions and specs for that, but it will be a snap for me 'cuz I have welding/brazing/soldering skillz!

I'll also have to get the BATFE paperwork for a SBR completed and approved BEFORE I purchase the 9" barrel in order to avoid any "intent to assemble" issues with the BATFE.

I was able to obtain a reproduction bayonet already, and it fits great! This will be one cool gun by the time I get finished!

Last edited by Stomper on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos for you to look at of what I have.

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was poking around the web today and stumbled upon a website called www.weaponsguild.com which is a firearms parts-kit/ scratch-builder enthusiasts' forum. There are some incredible resources on parts sources, vendors, tutorials, build progress threads, etc.

Needless to say, it inspired me to home-build a Sterling (or three... LOL) from "scratch"! I just ordered up a Sterling Parts Kit from APEX Gun Parts, and a "cut-to length" receiver tube blank with bonded template from www.stenparts.com (a resource I found on www.weaponsguild.com!)

Over the last month or so, I have been hmming and hawing over how to approach this build and keeping the Sterling MkIV's original look (instead of the 16" MkVI aardvark looking barrel...LOL) and keep out of the legal soup with the ATF concerning NFA enforcement of Short-Barreled Rifles (SBR's)

It occurred to me that I can put a non-functioning folding stock on it which would make it (legally) a pistol! This way I can build my Sterling with the original short-barrel and be able to shoot it too, until I get the $200 Tax Stamp in hand. (which is taking 6-9 mos. to process ATM!!)

I'll post photos of the stuff as it comes in...
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: