www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Opinions on this for heating source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixx
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Opinions on this for heating source Reply with quote

Im building a small table and was curious how good this would work if i plugged in say 3 of them and lined them up side by side. The oven wouldnt be overhead

cheers!
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah, oops, here is the link
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202519662/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=electric+grill&storeId=10051#.UMRVzYa9f9k
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think in theory they should work. There does not appear to be any adjustment on them, I would guess they get pretty hot.
If you have thrift type stores near by, you could most likely pick up a couple of hot plates (which would also give you a temp control) for pretty cheap?
If you are set on using the Home Depot item, you could also "control" heat by adjusting the distance from the plastic.
Best of luck
Mark
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were doing s small table style machine, as I have n the past, I'd look for replacement oven elements or cooktop elements instead of the BBQ lighter. The BBQ starters have to be cooled by contact with the briquettes they are lighting. Running them in free air without having the briquettes as a heat sink really cuts their life down. Also, 3 of them would be a buttload of wattage, and probably overtemp things....

What are you trying to form.....
felixx
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, after looking at the website, and calling Doug I think i am just going to go with the Proto-form and get the oven kits with it. I think it will be a great learning experience for me and I love a good project..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: