www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My First Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: My First Project Reply with quote

Hi all

I plan on having a go at vacuum forming. Mainly to facilitate a model project I also plan on having a go at.

I've seen lots and lots of great DIY vacuum on here and else where and have come up with a cunning plan.......I hope.

First up I will purchase 4 toaster 'end' elements to make the oven. They are rated at 370W Each and will be wired in parallel as they are in a toaster.

Also an infinite controller for same.

The oven will be an over top style. The holding frame for the plastic will fit to the arms of drawer slides which will act as transport for moving the plastic from oven to former. The oven will be attached to the other end of the slides and the whole section will hinge so the plastic can be, pulled out of the oven, lifted over the mold then pressed down.

This is the theory. The oven elements will be 9-10" Sq in area. I don't plan on making anything bigger. The only other possible amendment, as the elements are so cheap, is to put a second oven below the plastic for faster and more even heating.

The elements, drawer slides (Rated for 12Kg), and controller are pretty cheap from ebay. everything else I should have to hand.

So how does it sound so far?

Fable[/img]
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fable and welcome aboard!
Sounds like a fun build.
I would doubt that you would have any real need for a "2nd" oven on that size of build. But your overall plan and design sound good as far as I can tell.
Keep us in the loop and shoot some pictures as you go a long if possible.
Best of luck
Mark
Fable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Here's a gif of the idea.

Fable
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I like it!
I don't think that I have seen quite that take on it before.
If you have the opportunity, take some photo's as you build (wish I would've taken more along the way myself).
If I can help out, let me know.
Mark
Fable

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I have just raided a discarded tumble dryer for its heating element.

(As a possible oven part)

There are 2 elements. Each element is comprised of 6mm Diameter (or slightly less) coils at a length of around 28" in total but the units are folded in 4 and supported by a ceramic plate.

I could pop the coils out of the support structure. There are 3 places on each section which are straight, about 12mm, where the coils were folded to fit the support. I could coil these points to allow adjustment elsewhere?

Or Pop the coils out and care fully uncoil them and recoil to suit?

Is one or other an option?

If I've worked it out correctly there is around 10 meters of wire per coil. This is based on the number of coils, about 600 per unit, multiplied by their circumference.

Alss is the ratings on the doner machine are 1700/2200W max @240V.

I did a quick measure with my DMM and each coil is 51 Ohm.

Fable
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size do you want to build? Small doesn't tell us very much... First you need to decide what size, thickness and type of plastic you want to use.. That will help you decide how to build your oven... It's of paramount importance that the plastic is heated evenly.. That's takes some thought and planing. Time, distance, power all need to be controllable, to some extent, to get that even heating. The plastic sheet nearest the frame will almost always be colder.. Some times you need to go back and change something, like make the center cooler by shading the center of the plastic. You're going to need to check on the plastic as it heats. To me your oven seems to me to be to close to the plastic. How would you adjust that distance? I like the idea of drawer slides, but I think a simple flip-flop former would be easier, and even give you better performance. The plastic comes down on the mold at an angle, same as yours. Tell us what you want to make.
Fable

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Thanks for looking. OK then. The item I want to mold will be 8" x 8" x 3". I plan on using HIPS 1.5mm or 2mm thick. I'll know for certain once I try a few forms to see what thinning occurs. I want the form to be quite solid in the hand. The platten at this point is 10" X 10".

I'd like to stay with the principle idea if possible and just tune to suit. The Oven box can have it's distance to the plastic altered/variable to aid in performance.

The actual item to mold is the Command module of the Space 1999 Eagle Transporter. If this goes well then I will also do the engine bells which would lay up at 3" sq x 1.5". The CM and the bells would be the largest items I'd ever do.

The Complete Eagle will be 52.25" when finished.

Fable
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small 12x"x12" vacuum former with a 10"x10" platen. It comes in handy to do small stuff. It pulls 1/8 abs no problem. If you haven't come across it yet it's on the last page of the gallery.. I used a 12"x12" 1200w/110v elect. barbecue for a heat source.. I think it cost me 2 dollars at the thrift store..
A flash dryer would be an ideal heat source for a small former if they weren't so pricey..
Fable

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fredo

Oh yes I've seen the flip flop twist machine. Lovely bit of kit. I've looked at oven elements as well. Your addition of an ali plate to spread the heat more efficiently was an inspired move.

Fable
Fable

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bit of tweaking later........

Fable
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful concept on your machine. That mold pattern looks like an Eagle nose cone from Space: 1999?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking over the graphics... The machine looks fine for low aspect ratio parts. I do question what happens to plastic if you need a specific sag amount and how you might clear a tall part without plastic contacting the mold prematurely.

truthfully, its too complicated. make a frame, place it above the oven. use gloves to move the part manually and use a foot switch to run the vacuum cleaner. fewer parts, faster parts. KISS is an acronym we should all embrace........

scott
mrcadman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Spektr said. You can make this so much easier on yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: