www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Nichrome wire length?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Nichrome wire length? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted anything but I am about to make a new oven and I want to know the coiled length and pulled length of the nichrome wire for a 2x2 oven? I cannot find my TJ book for the life of me and really looking to get this thing made as soon as possible so I can resume forming work.

My oven is wired in 2 segments but that should not affect the wire length, only the tap-in point which I already know.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question:

Do more coils per length produce more or less heat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, the heat produced is inversely proportional to the resistance of the nichrome wire. Less resistance = more heat. Too little resistance and your circuit breaker pops!

Unplug the oven from the wall outlet, then disconnect the supply wires from the terminals. Measure the resistance from point A to B, and B to C. Ideally, they should be very close.

Stretch out your new nichrome wire just a bit so the coils don't touch. Measure out enough to match the resistance from the old coils. Stretch and mount to your cement board, connect the supply wires, and you should be good to go!

Also, minimize the number of holes through the cement board to avoid developing fractures in the long run.

Good luck!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charlie!

It's a been a while since I had to think about the oven but that makes total sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: