www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jurassic Park Jeep replica build has begun!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my back is still killing me, I opted to take my brake parts I got from Napa, and have a local shop install them for me. Its a good thing I did, the old calipers had issues coming off, and I just can't stress my back out any more on this project right now, AND I wanted to start driving this thing around some, so I got the shop to install them for $125. Money well spent for having reliable brakes.

Right now I'm waiting on my top to arrive. I have the top frame standing by. Maybe this weekend...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boring update:

The hard right turns make a clunk noise - turns out it was the bumper extensions, on the drivers side the bumper is bent, causing the tire to rub on it. I'm replacing the front bumper and extensions. Right now they are removed.

The AC works but then blows room temp air then cold again. Seems to be cycling oddly.

I can't be for sure but the steering may be having issues slightly after making the hard right turns.

The whole thing creaks something awful. Feels like I'm driving a pogo stick. The top I'm sure is responsible for some of the creaking. It's in terrible shape, barely bolted down, cracks, missing parts, etc.

I have the soft top replacement frame, and now I'm waiting on the top itself. I can hardly wait to swap that out.

I have the half doors ready to paint the interior panels once I get them good and clean. I did track down the proper Rustoleum Hunt Club green satin.

Dome lights are working now that I replace the door switches.

I'm still fighting something that drains the battery if I don't start it every day.

I have everything but time to do the tire swap and lower the body lift. Maybe in the next week or so.

Brakes are repaired. Water pump and serpentine belt replaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a week. I got some good progress made on the old girl. I removed the old wheels and replaced them with factory alloy rims. The tire size is a little big but they work. I need to get a couple new ones soon.

I also removed the nerf bars. And I have removed and replaced the body tub lift with a factory height one. It seems to ride much better. I still have one tub bolt to get to fit, It's 1/16 of an inch off. Maybe bouncing around will settle it in so that I can mount that last bolt.

I replaced the front bumper and end caps.

I now have the doors to adjust, sound bar to reinstall, and some new tires to get, then it's on to carpet, and paint.

I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got this Jeep I knew I was going to make it a Jurassic Park vehicle, and it needed a lot of TLC to even get it reliable enough to drive. The soft top needed to replace the worn hard top, and the seats and interior replaced as they were the incorrect colors. The family roll bar needed to be found, and the front windshield frame needed to be replaced, as it was rusted out pretty badly. All cosmetic. But there were plenty of obstacles to getting this to a point where I could drive it on a daily basis. The following are some before and after images.

When I first got it:

After hardtop removal and before doors, replaced windshield frame, fenders and side steps:

After nerf bar removal, before removal of the lift and after replacement of factory wheels and bumper:

Interior before new seats:

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major setback has befell upon my restoration. The steering is now making popping sound and I feel it is unsafe to drive until that can be sorted out. It may be as simple as a replacement lower steering shaft, or it could be in the steering column. What ever the case, it happened after I lowered the body back to it's factory ride height.

I think I am ready to get that fixed, and hopefully it's not in the upper steering column. Then it's on to tires and paint. Carpet will follow later on.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the lower steering shaft, and now that issue has been resolved. YEA! I got the door pouches installed, and new handles put on, and I got most of the dash painted. A replacement dash pad in the proper color has been ordered, a new tire for the spare, and the carpet is finally here. I got a lot of work to do, before I'm ready to start painting, but it is coming together.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update:
I got my spare tire mounted.
Replaced my dash instrument lights with LEDs.
Replaced my worn out tan steering wheel with a gray one from a 1992 Wrangler.
Replaced my repainted dash components.
Got my carpet kit in but too hot to try and install it.
Installed new door pouches, painted door panels.
Removed dented bumper-etts.
Cut home-made trailer hitch offer bumper.

Hope to find time this long weekend, to replace the dash pad, and paint the steering column. I have a new glove box on order, and new door seals. I'll end up painting the doors soon.

Soon I hope to be done with the interior redo and can start on the paint.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing major done. Funds are gone. I got the steering column painted gray, and I got the old glove box removed, and will replace it with a factory gray one when I get the dash pad and windshield cowl seal replaced.
Too much stuff to take off right now.
I have a carpet kit to install, but before I do that, I need to to remove all the interior parts, so that I can paint the spots that can be seen when, after the carpet is installed, the new color won't be miss matched with the old interior colors.

Oh, and I replaced the bumperetts with new ones.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the carpet installed, and had to have NAPA make me some new fuel lines. On to paint now.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Jeep is at the paint shop now... Reply with quote

Jeep is at the paint shop now...
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pics before it went to be painted:

Carpet almost done.

Seats reinstalled on new carpet, and door panels painted, new door pouches, and painted and replaced dash, steering wheel, and dash pad.

Light bar, and antenna being test fitted.

new BF Goodrich T/A All-Terrain KO2 spare tire and red painted wheel

Test fitting of the spare tire.

Delta 100 fog lights test fitting, with JP "91" license plate.

Ready to paint.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed to finish, is the base paint job, the stripes and decals done, the wheels prepped and painted, new tires, and a winch/winch plate. I'm having a heck of a time finding the proper Ramsey REP6000 winch.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand Beige Metallic has been applied. Here are some progress shots:

Now to add the decals, and paint the stripes, wheels and assemble the remaining parts. Oh, and to track down a winch.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

side, rear and door decals are on. Next will be the stripes, and hood stencil/decal.

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> All Things Jeep All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: