www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
will my machine pull .090 ABS with fairly good detail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: will my machine pull .090 ABS with fairly good detail? Reply with quote

Im building a 24X48 protoform machine. I have a GAST 21cfm pump that pulls 27inches of Mercury. im looking to make Biker scout armor, snowtrooper armor and Fett gauntlets. Im mostly talking about the Fett gauntlets. Some soft edges are ok, as the screen used were like that, but was just curious what you more experienced folks think.

I'll be pulling some test pulls in HIPS just to get my system down, but ultimately want to pull these in pinseal white ABS. I will likely get a couple of ABS sheets to try it out, but would love to hear more experienced folks opinions while im getting the machine together and making the bucks Smile.

I know AM does .090 TK armor with crazy detail, but he is using an industrial machine and aluminum bucks. Im not expecting quite that much detail, but hoping for something close-ish
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you should be in good shape for pulling the armor with that super fast vac pump. Biker scout and snowtrooper armor have nice flowing shapes that are easy to pull on a vac table.

Be sure to drill holes in the Fett gauntlets to encourage the plastic to get down into the nooks and crannies. .090 might be too thick to get the details really crisp and sharp. You could initially experiment with plaster molds, then move up to a resin mold after selling a few pieces and working out the bugs.

Or, you could try making a reverse mold where it is concave shaped. The mold cavity is the outside surface of the armor. This will give you nice sharp indented corners, but the raised corners might not be as well defined. A resin mold would be better, since plaster is crumbly and chips easily.

Here's photo gallery of a reverse mold that we made for the Star Trek Bird of Prey:
http://tk386.com/aws/bird_of_prey_mold_box/

It's a lot of work, but the surface detail made it worth the effort!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: