www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Israel Franco's Trooper Templates
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Imperial-Armor.Com Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Israel Franco's Trooper Templates Reply with quote

Are available on the http://www.imperial-armor.com/Trooper-Templates.zip . Let me know how they work!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blaxmyth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo - thanks for making this magnificent site available. I've just downloaded these templates and am thrilled - measurements at last! Very Happy I've got no access to a 'real' suit, so these plans are like gold! Thanks again. Phil
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil!

Glad to see you over on this board. Your prop making and vac-mold making experience will be a valueable contribution to this new board. For those that might not know, Phil, aka Blaxmyth is the inspiration and motivator, my mentor when it comes to MDF mold making and vac-forming. Without his encouragement and tutoring, the trooper project would never gotten off the ground.

I'm glad you found Israel Franco's templates helpful. He gave them to me to post and share. They seem pretty good. Let me know how they work out.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi remember me? jim i'm israel franco y just finish the molds but i made it in plaster because i try to mede it in MDF and i cant do it he he he (i'm a little dumb in wood stufs) i start made de vaccum table whisme luck, i have a cuestion how much deep i need in the details (molds) for got a good result when i pull the plastic, later I put a few photos of the moulds so that you give me your point of view, and I have another question, i did a test in a temporal vaccum table but the plastic remained wavy (wrinkled) why this happens? maybe did not have sufficient force in the pull
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Good to hear from you!

The molds will hold deep detail up to about 1 inch deep.

The wrinkles in the plastic might be too hot or too cold plastic. Can you post some pictures? I might be able to tell you what the problem is if I could see what the wrinkles looks like.

Jim
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again i don't know if the detail in my mold are they have sufficient depth, I put a photo of the mould of the abdomen so that you see it and give me your opinion and put also a photo of the wrinkles
thanks!!!

Edited to remove inappropriate images.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That molds looks great! depth looks fine. I see no problems! Good work!
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but you forgot tell me about the wrinkles, i have one more cuestion im thinking buy a shopvac in home depot, in the box of the vacuum cleaner says: 5hp, this one will serve better that of 3 hp that you recommend? or what system of is better?

and thanks again for all the help i can't do it without you!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wrinkles as I understand it my be caused by one mold being too close to another mold. This is called 'webbing' and happens when 2 or more molds are close to one another. As the plastic is drawn down to the forming platen, the plasti stretches too far and it fall onto itself.

I have not seen any other wrinkles with HIPS material. I did try some ABS, but it had a textured side that caused all sorts of problems.

If the wrinkles are in the mold, sand your mold using 200 grit sandpaper.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good success with a 3hp shop vac. I have used a 6.5hp shop vac and the additional horse power was not that much better than the 3hp.

Jim
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on those templates Israel,they're very professional!

Looking at the plastic formings,it looks like the problem is your moulds are not so smooth.Vacuum forming is not forgiving and shows up every little imperfection in the moulds.At least that's what I think,I've never had my plastic go like that.Even when overheating it just goes like 'orange peel'.

Hey jim,so the multi-vac is no good eh?

I do have two vacs now as I recently bought a triple motor vac,which is a bit more powerful than my twin motor.I am going to try linking them up and see what,if any difference there is.I plan on doing the water test thing,where you measure how far the water gets sucked up a clear tube/pipe.

How is your trooper helmet mould coming on?

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul!

Good to hear from you. I agree, the molds might not be smooth enough. I have never had any issues with the plastic either. ABS yes, but not with HIPS.

As for the multi-shop vac setup, I can't tell much difference if any. IMHO. I have a 3 and a 6.5 hp shop vac, and to be honest, the 3hp pulls as well as the 6.5. The hose diameter might be an issue, as the 6.5 has a larger hose.

I have since traded for a nice Robinsair hi-vac pump, 6 CFM, and will start replumbing my table in November.

I have not tried the water in a hose tip, I need to do that!
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I will eventually upgrade to a high vac set-up,but for now the industrial vacs will do.Once I finish these new moulds I'll consentrate on the vac system.Of course,I'll see how yours goes first Laughing

I got the water test from the DIY vacuum forming book.It's a great little book which I think you already own.I have two which I highly recommend for anyone reading.They are:-

'Do it yourself vacuum forming' by Douglas E.Walsh

'Secret's of building a plastic vacuum forming machine' by Vincent Gingery

Both very informative with great tips on all aspects of the process.I'll let you know how I get on with the test,though I'm not hoping for much Sad

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blaxmyth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in learning about the water and hose method of measuring vacuum. Sounds intriguing.

I used a rough and ready method - got a vacuum guage (car dashboard type), pushed the tube through some plastic card, then sealed it against the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner. Worked well, but it was disappointing to realise how little suction the cleaner actually has - only about 5 inches of mercury.
Armour Downunder
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have just completed the water test on our home vacuum cleaner, an old Nilfisk. It pulled 87 inches of water in a hose with an inside diameter of 1". I divided the total of 87" by 13.6 ( 1" mercury = 13.6" water ) and got nearly 6.5" mercury. Not too bad for an old vacuum cleaner. I would assume using a smaller diameter hose on the vac table may give a little more pull. Judging by the footage Ive seen with others using vacuum cleaners with 4-5" mercury I think I will be happy to use the Nilfisk until it is required to do the household cleaning Smile Much cheaper than buying a proper vacuum pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Imperial-Armor.Com Q&A All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: