www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vintage figure repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Action Figure Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Vintage figure repairs Reply with quote

Well, I got 3 vintage GIjOEs from a friend and 2 of them needed to be restrung. If you have never tried repair work on your vintage action figures, it can be scarey, but in reality, these are pretty easy to work on.

Here's what I did:

I pulled the shoulder, I grabbed the right one and streatched it until I could see the elastic bands that hold the arms on. I then slipped a philips-head screw driver between the exposed elastic and the torso's shoulder socket. This gave me some slack I needed to work the metal hook off the shoulder. When this was done, I pulled the screw driver out and gave the left shoulder a tug. Out came the elastic. It was rusty and decayed.

I then pulled up on Joe's head. I then slipped the screw driver in at the torso neck socket, under the elastic so I had some slack to work the head off. When that was done Joe came apart.

The legs, hip balls, groin and neck hook are all held together by a length of elastic with eye hooks clampped on each end. Through the thighs are pins that connect to the eye hooks. These pins must be tapped out. I used a small philips head screw driver, and pressed against the corner of a table top until it began to move. Remove the eye hook from both thighs. Your done and ready to restring.

I was having trouble finding some good elastic. The fabric and hobby stores only had they clothing type elastic. You want some with a bit more stretch to it! I went with the 'mini bungee chords' found in the automotive section of Walmart. These work great, and I can even reuse the metal chord clamps that come on them.

The legs use a 5-1/8 inch lenght of elastic. I like to use fresh eye hooks, and found that there are some electrical terminal 'eye' connectors in the automotive section that work great. These have a yellow insulator that I take off but they work well.

I cut the end of the chord off, and slip it into the eye hook, and then press closed with a pair of pliers. Do the same at the other end, and you are ready for re-assembly of the lower body.

I use the same chord for the arm elastic. Measure approx 3 inch length and you can bend some metal from the reused chord ends to hold it.

Relaceing can be a challenge until I realised if I make a tool from an old coat hanger that is about 6 inches long neck with a hook at one end. Feed it through the torso, hook the neck hook and pull up through the torso. When you see the elastic at the other end, slip that screw driver back in, reattach the head/neck, and you are almost done. Remove the screw driver and see if Joe can now stand on his own. Joe is suppose to hold all sorts of poses.

If not, then the chord is too long, and you will need to shorten it. Don't make it too short! Cut 1/2 inch off at a time.

The arms are done with the same hook tool too. Slip the hook tool into the arm socket holes, and grab the shoulder hook. Connect the opposite arm, and pull this assembly into the torso, carefully pulling it through. When you see the elastic, slip that screw driver in and reattach the other shoulder.

Your Joe is now restrung, and can once again be taken on all sorts of backyard adventures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Action Figure Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: